Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the Head Newsletter Editor. 

Today, we have stories on:

16 additional Art Museum objects connected to art smuggler alumnus

The Princeton Art Museum.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Today’s Briefing:

16 additional Art Museum objects connected to art smuggler alumnus: The Princeton University Art Museum has discovered that 16 artifacts in its collection are linked to Edoardo Almagià ’73, an accused art smuggler. These Mediterranean artifacts, acquired between 1987 and 2001, include an Etruscan urn, a Rhodesian flask, and an Athenian amphora, among others. Almagià has a history of involvement in illegal activities, such as a 1992 investigation for connections to grave robbery and a 2006 charge in Italy for illegal trafficking. The Princeton University Art Museum is now updating its records and focusing on ethical considerations in collection management, amidst broader efforts in the field to address legal and ethical standards in artifact acquisition.

READ THE STORY

CJL President Bartell ’25 emphasizes Jewish pluralism as Israeli-Palestinian conflict continues: Stephen Bartell ’25, the newly elected President of the Center for Jewish Life (CJL) at Princeton, discussed his vision for the organization in the coming year in an interview with the ‘Prince,’ emphasizing the importance of Jewish pluralism and inclusivity,  in light of the ongoing conflict in Israel and Palestine. He aims to maintain the CJL as a cohesive community highlighting the CJL’s role in hosting different prayer groups and events for Conservative, Orthodox, and Reform Jews and underscoring his commitment to making all Jewish students feel comfortable and welcome in the CJL.

READ THE STORY

Increasing rent prices are decreasing life spans, new University Eviction Lab research finds: A study by the University’s Eviction Lab and the Census Bureau, led by postdoctoral research associate Nick Graetz, found a significant link between higher rents, eviction proceedings, and increased mortality risk. The study, which analyzed 38 million eviction records and census data over 20 years, revealed a 40 percent increase in mortality risk associated with evictions and a 19 percent increase even with the threat of eviction. Additionally, the study highlighted the impact of rent burden on mortality, particularly among Hispanic and Black men, and noted a rising gap between rent costs and renters’ incomes in the U.S., suggesting that these housing issues have significant health implications.

READ THE STORY

OPINION | The USG must help to unburden low-income international students

Whig Hall.
Veena Krishnaraj / The Daily Princetonian

Columnist Emilly Santos ’25 writes that low-income international students at Princeton face distinct challenges compared to their domestic counterparts, including financial hardships not adequately addressed by the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) in recent elections. These unique hardships include paying taxes on financial aid, limited work hours due to visa restrictions, high living and travel costs, and accumulating debt. Santos ’25, calls for USG to advocate for changes such as covering international scholarship tax, similar to Yale, and providing better institutional support to improve the experience of low-income international students at Princeton.

READ THE PIECE →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week's special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. This week, the show took a walk with the Princeton Birding Society to learn about how to build a more bird-friendly campus.

SPORTS | Women’s Basketball pushes past Columbia, extends win streak to nine

The Tigers celebrate after the big win over rival Columbia.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonWBB

In a crucial Ivy League women’s basketball match, the Princeton Tigers (14–3 overall, 4–0 Ivy League) defeated the Columbia Lions (12–5 overall, 3–1 Ivy League) with a score of 80–65, ending Columbia’s 10-game winning streak. The game was tightly contested, especially in the first half where both teams performed well offensively, but Princeton made significant adjustments in the second half. Key performances included Princeton’s Skye Belker, who was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week, and Ellie Mitchell, who achieved a double-double and was named Ivy League Player of the Week. The Tigers are set to continue defending their top position in the Ivy League against Cornell Big Red.

READ THE PIECE →

More from Sports: 

FEATURES | “Classical music is boring,” according to a classical musician

Noah Simon performs at an Ingesund Musikhögskola concert in February 2020.
Photo courtesy of Noah Simon.

Noah Simon, a former professional concert pianist and senior research specialist in the Department of Economics, hosted a Wintersession workshop titled “Classical Music is Boring ... but here’s how to find the real stuff!” to challenge perceptions of classical music and address its decline in performance quality since the 20th century. He argued that modern classical music has become superficial and normalized, lacking the depth and authenticity found in older recordings. Simon’s workshop, aimed at encouraging critical appreciation of classical music, compared recordings to highlight differences in technique and interpretation, and critiqued the sound quality of modern performances, despite advancements in recording technology.

READ THE PIECE →

More from Features: 
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathan Beck. Illustration by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA