Monday, November 27, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Owen Yu

Cloister in sink-or-swim situation amid financial crisis

Candace Do/ The Daily Princetonian 

Good morning!

Cloister Inn, one of Princeton’s 11 eating clubs, has recently requested donations from alumni to reach a $250,000 fundraising goal by the end of the school year. The email suggests that absent significant fundraising, Cloister may have to close. The club’s request results from declining membership post-pandemic and the club having burned through “90 percent of its reserve savings.”

The graduate board of Cloister is seeking a ‘takeover,’ which involves recruiting sophomores and potentially changing the identity of the club. Cloister’s potential ‘takeover’ is not without precedent. In 2019, Charter Club successfully staged a takeover in response to a decline in membership. Different dining options, new social events, and a proposal to reinstate Bicker were topics of discussion during the takeover.

The prospect of an Eating Club closing comes as class sizes continue to expand, with the Class of 2026 which will join eating clubs in the spring being the largest class in University history. Nonetheless, even though class sizes have expanded in recent years, the number of eating clubs has not expanded significantly. Campus Club closed its doors in the 2000s, and while Cannon Club reopened in the 2010s, one less eating club may strain the remaining clubs in terms of capacity.

As the University looks ahead to Street Week 2024 when roughly 1,600 sophomores will potentially join an eating club, Cloister stands at the precipice of a unique opportunity to redefine its identity

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Owen Yu

Today’s Briefing 

After email soliciting more candidates, historically large group to contest every USG position: As of last Wednesday, more than half of the positions in the USG Senate were uncontested. After an appeal to the student body, soliciting people to run for all positions where there was no contested election, no uncontested spots remain. In the 11 years of records from USG elections, there have never been no uncontested positions for winter elections. Many of the candidates have never run for elected office before, including a large number of first-years.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Princeton’s mental health problem needs a bigger solution than Community Care Day

USG President Stephen Daniels ’24 and University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 smile and laugh at Community Care Day in October.
Courtesy of Sameer Khan
Contributing Columnist Davis Hobley reflects on Community Care Day and its genuine attempt towards bettering the mental health situation on campus, but also notes its disorganization and suggests changing the state of campus mental health with a single day is overambitious and inadequate. He writes, “To start substantively addressing the problem of student mental health, the University must focus on doing everything in its power to aid in addressing the mental health problems prevalent on campus.”

READ THE COLUMN →

MORE FROM OPINION:

FEATURES | Princeton provides Ukrainian and Russian scholars two years of protection

Prospect House on a cloudy day.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Academic departments and centers at Princeton are providing up to two years of sponsorship to scholars from Ukraine and Russia whose research puts them at risk during the war. After fleeing war zones and oppressive censorship, Ukrainian and Russian scholars find a temporary life and safety at Princeton, through being granted short-term positions by the University or sponsored by individual departments.

READ THE FEATURE →

SPORTS | Women’s basketball topples No. 20 Oklahoma for fourth win against ranked opponent in program history

Sophomore guard Madison St. Rose shot for 26 points which equalled her career-high score against Duquesne to open the season.
Photo Courtesy of @PrincetonWBB/Twitter.
In a massive matchup against No. 20 Oklahoma, a standout performance from sophomore guard Madison St. Rose pushed the Tigers to victory. The victory marked just the fourth win the Tigers have had against ranked opponents in program history, and the third win against ranked opponents in the last three years.

READ THE RECAP 
MORE FROM SPORTS: 

THE PROSPECT | Princeton Pianists Ensemble keeps audience on their toes

Chloe Lau / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Prospect Writer Chloe Lau highlights the “multifaceted repertoire” of the Princeton Pianists Ensemble (PPE) during their eleventh concert season “Aurora” on Nov. 17. She describes their performance: “As an increasing number of nimble hands danced in unison, dynamics grew, tempo increased, and chords thickened into a polyphonic climax. In the third piece, the twists began.”

READ THE REVIEW→

MORE FROM THE PROSPECT: 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. Today, we cover student thoughts on Community Care Day, the stabbing of ex-officer Derek Chauvin, and the release of hostages amidst a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA