Thursday, June 29, 2023

Princeton raises summer housing prices on campus, students note internship stipends not enough

Witherspoon Hall.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

As the cost of living rises across the country, Guest Contributor Odette Perrusquia ‘25 argues that the University must increase internship stipends to support opportunities for low-income students.  

In the guest contribution, Perrusquia points out that Princeton’s Internships in Civic Service (PICS) provided summer 2023 interns with a stipend of $600 dollars per week to cover essential living expenses. However, with the rising cost of housing and the need for students to have funds for food and emergencies, low-income students are instead left with a marginal amount of funding. 

She notes, “Last year, the cost of a nine-week contract to stay on campus over the summer was $267 per week. This year, the cost of the housing and minimum mandatory dining plan jumped to $450 per week.” The expense of housing in Princeton has been a recurring theme in campus debates, including in graduate student unionization. Princeton is not an institution with a tradition of much off-campus housing, so university rates are critical

“Even with an economy with high inflation (which is hitting low-income families especially hard)," Perrusquia states, “an institution priding itself on its inclusivity initiatives for undergraduate students should be more accommodating, not less.” 

READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION→

Today's Briefing 

Board of Trustees shrinks to 37 as six appointed to the board, including Bush-era Chief of Staff: Six Princeton Alumni are set to join the University Board of Trustees, shrinking the size of the board from 39 to 37, as eight trustees’ terms ended. Some notable additions to the board include Joshua Bolten ’76, former Bush-era White House Chief of Staff, and Mutemwa Masheke ’23, this year’s elected young alumni trustee. 

READ THE STORY→

Six years before the Supreme Court decision, SFFA v. Princeton happened too: In 2015, The Department of Education completed its seven-year, 20-page examination of the University’s admission practices. This investigation would lead to the University’s involvement in a legal dispute with Students for Fair Admissions (SFFA), which brought forward the cases against Harvard and the University of North Carolina (UNC) that the Supreme Court is set to rule on by the end of its term.

Ahead of the Court ruling, The Daily Princetonian looks back at how Princeton became one of just a handful of litigants in SFFA’s history and breaks down how a Supreme Court ruling on Title VI would impact the University.

READ THE STORY→

More from News:

SPORTS | Men’s basketball star Tosan Evbuomwan signs with the Detroit Pistons 

After the Tigers’ historic run, Evbuomwan was named to the 2023 NCAA All-Tournament Team for the South Region.
Photo Courtesy of PrincetonMBB/Twitter

Living in Newcastle, England, Princeton men’s basketball star forward Tosan Evbuomwan did not play organized basketball until he was 15 years old. Last Thursday night, Evbuomwan was signed by an NBA team. While Evbuomwan did not become the first Princeton draftee in nearly 40 years as he had hoped, he was signed by the Detroit Pistons shortly after the draft.

Evbuomwan is on an Exhibit-10 contract: a one-year deal with training but no gameplay where the team can change the contract to a two-way contract — a limited contract that does allow for gameplay — within the season.

READ THE STORY→

More from Sports: 
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com.
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Michelle Ho. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA