Thursday, February 9, 2023

91 Prospect Begins Moving

91 Prospect Ave. stands on stilts as it waits to be rotated and moved.
Abby de Riel / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

Since the 2021-22 academic year, Princeton University has been undergoing significant construction with many locations under current or future development including the new Environmental Studies and the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (ES+SEAS) neighborhood and the Princeton University Art Museum. 

In a particularly striking project, the University has begun the process of lifting a former Eating Club and moving it across the street. This plan is part of a joint agreement with the Princeton town to build a new ES + SEAS complex. The relocation involved a 180 degree rotation of the building and then moving it across the road, all of which will take an estimated four days.
University 

According to the University, the closure of parts of Prospect Avenue to vehicular traffic and pedestrian detours are expected to remain in place until the end of February. Some students have argued that the extensive inconveniences due to construction deprioritize current students, including Columnist Tara Shukla in a November column.

Most of Prospect Avenue is already included in the larger Princeton Historic District — in 1973, that district was entered onto the State Register of Historic Places, and in 1975, the National Register of Historic Places.

READ THE STORY →
Analysis by Keith Matanachai and Julian Hartman-Sigall

Todays Briefin

CAMPAIGN FOR TURKEY AND SYRIA EARTHQUAKE: Over 12,000 people were killed in Turkey and Syria after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake and a 7.5 magnitude aftershock struck on Feb. 6. The death toll continues to rise as more bodies are discovered under fallen buildings.

Following the earthquake, Turkish Student Association (TSA) announced a donation campaign, Turkish Students for Earthquake Relief, for the survivors.

READ THE STORY →
  • El-Kurd talks Palestinian activism, controversy at Said Memorial Lecture READ THE STORY →

DATA | We looked at over a decade of eating club tax returns. Heres what we found.

Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian 

Street Week 2023 is currently in progress. Want to know which club has avoided paying property taxes for decades while the other clubs are forking over six figures? Can you guess which club is the smartest investor, getting a return of $172,000 in 2018? Are some of the clubs getting tax-deductible donations through charity to fund operations? Most importantly, what percentage of your dues actually cover the cost of food and drinks?

Using publicly-available tax forms, the ‘Prince’ analyzed the finances of each eating club. Here is what we found.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Conservative values can exist within a liberal framework

Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian 

Abigail Rabieh ’25 draws on David Walter’s ’11 recent Princeton Alumni Weekly article to ask “what do conservatives want?” and “why do conservatives spend so much time decrying Princeton’s ‘dominant’ political culture?” 

Rabieh concludes, “Conservatives such as Hazony argue that the University should define its own purpose for students, whereas liberals push for students to define the purpose of the University on their own.

She writes, “But now that the University has a greater liberal influence than before, conservatives are caught in a pickle. Hazony disagrees with the direction of the University, but conservative ideological commitments prevent conservatives from changing it on their own.

READ THE COLUMN →

MORE FROM OPINION:

LETTER TO THE EDITOR | THE CJLS DINING HALL IS OPEN TO ALL: In a letter to the editor, Rabbi Gil Steinlauf ’91, Executive Director of the Center for Jewish Life (CJL) writes, “The dining hall at CJL reflects Princeton’s unique approach to diversity and inclusion. Kosher and religiously-observant students’ needs are not met in isolation, but as part of the University’s broader commitment to building relationships among students with diverse religious and cultural identities. This also supports CJL’s commitment to creating an environment that fosters dialogue across difference.”

Rabbi Steinlauf writes, “That’s why we welcome all students to CJL, and encourage them to eat with us. We hope they find both great food and a warm community inside our walls.”

READ THE LETTER →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Lindsay Pagaduan. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA