Friday, May 6, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu and Jordan Slaughter

Over 100 rally at Princeton for abortion rights after SCOTUS leak; University announces research partnership with HBCUs

Students congregate in front of Nassau Hall to demonstrate in support of abortion rights.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

ROE V. WADE PROTEST ON CAMPUS: On Wednesday, May 4, over 100 protestors gathered in front of Nassau Hall in response to a leak, reported by POLITICO, of the Supreme Court’s majority draft opinion showing that Roe v. Wade will likely be overturned. After speeches and chants from students, demonstrators marched through campus, finishing the protest on Frist Campus Center’s South Lawn.

“Overwhelmingly, the people who will need active support [with] abortion will be poor and working class, so if you have the means, give support to those who do not by donating,” Ophelia Vedder, a graduate student organizing with Princeton Mutual Aid, said. “If the government is going to legally take away the bodily autonomy of people who can have babies, then we need to fight like hell.”

READ THE STORY →

UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCES RESEARCH PARTNERSHIP WITH HBCUs: On May 4, the University announced that it will partner with five HBCUs — Howard University, Jackson State University, Prairie View A&M University, Spelman College, and the University of Maryland Eastern Shore — to fund research projects in all disciplines, a joint effort led by researchers from the HBCUs and Princeton faculty.

“We believe that these collaborations enable Princeton researchers and innovators to achieve things that we cannot achieve alone,” said Princeton Vice Dean for Innovation Rodney Priestley in the University’s statement. 

READ THE STORY →

AFGHANISTAN POLICY LAB: On April 14, the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA) and the Liechtenstein Institute for Self-Determination (LISD) announced the creation of the Afghanistan Policy Lab. The lab was formed, according to the announcement, with the purpose of devising and advocating for policy recommendations for Afghanistan following the aftermath of the United States’ official withdrawal from the country in August of last year.

The new lab’s director, Angela Raz described the lab as a “unique initiative, and [a] very important initiative, to elevate the policy discussion and conversation about Afghanistan at this extremely important and critical time for the country.”

READ THE STORY →

More from News:

OPINION | Princeton can’t solve the mental health crisis without divesting from fossil fuels

Some members of Divest Princeton after submitting their proposal to the CPUC Resources Committee in February.
Courtesy of Anna Hiltner

Contributing columnist Emilly Santos argues that the University cannot meaningfully address students’ mental health concerns until it divests from fossil fuels, and that continuing to maintain investments in companies that exacerbate the climate crisis contributes to this generation’s fears about the precarity of the future.

“The irony of supporting mental health in a dying world seems lost on the people elected to make the most difficult decisions, in the same way it’s ignored by University officials. Curing depression and anxiety is essentially impossible in the context of a global climate emergency and the constant reminder that the Earth is dying, and that we will too.”

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

OPINION | An open letter in support of Maria Ressa ’86 from her Class of ’86 classmates

Maria Ressa ’86 visited The Daily Princetonian’s newsroom in 2019.

In an open letter, Eric Fethke ’86 writes in support of Maria Ressa ’86, 2021 Nobel Peace Prize laureate and founder of the news website Rappler. He commends Ressa’s uncompromising commitment to advancing values of free speech in the face of repressive measures by her native country, the Philippines, and calls on readers to invest in a Rappler+ subscription to contribute to combating censorship through litigation by investigative targets of the publication.

“In honor of World Press Freedom Day, May 3, join us in becoming members (or in renewing your membership) of Rappler+ at either an $8 monthly or $70 annual basis,” writes Fethke.

READ THE OPINION →

SPORTS:

Llewellyn (right) poses with father Cordell (left) after making his commitment.
Courtesy of Jaelin Llewellyn.

At Your Leisure:

A lone chair sits outside of Nassau Hall.
José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian
  • THE PROSPECT: Head Editor for The Prospect José Pablo Fernández García looks back on a year full of friendship and reflects on seeing his senior friends getting ready to move on as they graduate in a couple weeks. He discusses the “cruelty” of college friendships due to how much he cherishes them, and the loss of true goodbyes with friends in the classes of 2019, 2020, and 2021. Read the full piece here.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian‘s daily news podcast!
  • THE ORANGE TABLE: On episode 9 of the Orange Table, we talk Black hair on campus — its ties to identity, historical stigmatization, and the University’s role. Listen in.
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Alexandra Hong and Daniel Somwaru.

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp