Wednesday, February 16, 2022
Newsletter by Caitlin Limestahl

Worthy of taking up space: Jennifer Lee ’23 founds nonprofit to support Asian Americans with disabilities

Todays Briefing: 

Throughout her journey with Crohn’s disease, Jennifer Lee ’23 felt a divide between her identity as an Asian American and a disabled individual. So, in July 2021, she helped found the Asian Americans with Disabilities Initiative (AADI), a nonprofit run by and for individuals who identify as both Asian American and disabled. Lee has several goals for AADI, including publishing a resource guide for disabled Asian Americans, hosting speaker panels and events, and forming a community of disabled and Asian American peers.  

“The overarching mission of AADI is to amplify disabled Asian American voices and to provide the next generation of disabled Asian Americans with the tools, resources, and infrastructure to thrive in a world that has not historically always welcomed them,” Lee said.

READ THE FEATURES STORY →

SHARED COVID-19 ISOLATION SPACES: Of the 224 undergraduates and 72 graduate students who were required to isolate in the weeks of Jan. 21 and Jan. 28, some shared their isolation spaces with fellow COVID-19-positive peers. Though some students reported feeling surprised at the realization, several said they grew to appreciate the company. 

“I thought I’d be in complete isolation, but I have to say that having a roommate has been really helpful for me, not just for my mental health, but interacting with people and keeping my spirits up,” Kendall Jeong ’25 said.

READ THE STORY →

CORONAL MASS EJECTIONS: Using a novel, analytical approach to understanding plasmoid behavior, graduate student Stephen Majeski and Professor Hantao Ji have made a new discovery that allows them to detect potential coronal mass ejections. 

Ji used an analogy involving the different heights of human beings to help explain the reason for wanting to be able to calculate the effects of a range of plasmoid sizes — not just a single one. 

“You have people that are very tall and people that are very short, but the average is just one [height]. Spreading is also important, not just the average,” he told the ‘Prince.’

READ THE STORY →

STREET WEEK RECAP: On Feb. 4, students were notified of bicker and sign-in results for the University’s eleven eating clubs, marking the end of a unique Street Week. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, clubs hosted hybrid events, mixing virtual and in-person activities. This year’s Street Week had over 1,070 sophomores participate, the highest number this past decade. The ICC reported that 71 percent of sophomores chose to bicker two selective clubs, which is a five percent decrease from last year.

READ THE STORY →

COVID-19 SPIKE FOLLOWING EATING CLUB EVENTS: After 84 undergraduate students tested positive for COVID-19 on Feb. 14 —  the highest single-day spike among undergraduate students this academic year — Deputy University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss told The Daily Princetonian that the positive cases might be tied to certain eating clubs or athletic teams

A message obtained by the ‘Prince’ from a Tiger Inn (TI) group chat asked members to like the message if they had tested positive. As of 10:44 PM on Feb. 15, the message had received 79 likes. TI President Jake Rodgers ’22 said in an email to the ‘Prince’ that there is currently an “inner-club outbreak,” but did not clarify any numbers.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED:
Via Shelley Szwast and GoPrincetonTigers

SPORTS | Men’s ice hockey falls to Darmouth in first League loss

The men’s ice hockey team experienced their first loss against an Ivy League opponent this past Monday, giving up seven goals to the Dartmouth Big Green. The 7–3 loss was the third game of the past five in which the Tigers gave up seven goals. The Tigers will meet Harvard in Cambridge on Friday and get another shot at Dartmouth on Saturday.

At Your Leisure: 

Hannah Mittleman/ The Daily Princetonian
  • PUZZLES: Hit up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start, and solve this puzzle “Press Start” by Staff Constructor Isabella Pu.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast!
Black History Month
Sierra Stern
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp