Thursday, December 2, 2021

Community members wait hours for boosters, isolation housing expands amid COVID-19 spike

Community members outside of Jadwin Gym at around 11:50 a.m., prior to Pfizer vaccine clinic opening. 
Zachary Shevin / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

As the University continues to witness high campus COVID-19 case counts and increasing isolation dorm occupancy, community members from across campus are lining up to roll up their sleeves for COVID-19 booster jabs at Jadwin Gymnasium. On Tuesday, Nov. 30, the University COVID-19 dashboard reported 18 confirmed undergraduate cases, 1 graduate case, and eight cases among staff and faculty. Moreover, 38 undergraduate students and nine graduate students are currently housed in the isolation dorms.

In an effort to clamp down on the campus COVID-19 case surge, the University has been hosting COVID-19 booster clinics for all community members. Many students arrive to the clinics only to end up lingering in long lines outside of Jadwin Gym for hours. One student, Phoebe Lin ’23, stood in line for five hours on Wednesday before she received her shot.

“Comparatively to, like, Disneyland, this line is long,” Lin said, when interviewed at the three-hour mark.

READ THE STORY →

On Monday, Nov. 29, campaigning for USG elections began with voting to open Monday, Dec. 6 at 12 p.m. and to close Thursday, Dec. 9 at 12 p.m. Here are the candidates: 

1. For USG president, Jasman Singh ’23 and Mayu Takeuchi ’23. 
  2. For USG vice president, Stephen Daniels ’24, Will Gu ’23, and Hannah Kapoor ’23.
  3. For USG Campus and Community Affairs committee chair, Alexandra Orbuch ’25 and Isabella Shutt ’24.
  4. For USG Social Committee chair, Emma Limor ’25 and Madi Linton ’24. 
  5. For 2023 class senator, Gisell Curbelo and Kanishkh Kanodia (uncontested).
  6. For 2024 class senator, Sean Bradley, Mariam Latif, and Prince Takano.
  7. For 2025 class senator, Braiden Aaronson, Ned Dockery, Brenden Garza, Kalu Obasi, Walker Penfield, Oscar Serra, and Laura Vergara. 
  8. For USG treasurer, Adam Hoffman ’23 (uncontested). 
  9. For USG Academics Committee chair, Austin Davis ’23 (uncontested).
  10. For USG Sustainability Committee chair, Audrey Zhang ’25 (uncontested). 

There will be a referendum regarding the current midterm grading policy featured on the ballot as well. Be sure to attend the presidential debate on Friday, Dec. 3 from 4:30–5:30 p.m. here

READ THE STORY →

After seven months of conducting meetings, the Princeton town Cannabis Task Force (CTF) formally recommended that cannabis retail businesses be allowed to open in town. The town council is composed of local health and public safety personnel, business representatives, and citizens. The CTF proposed five locations for a potential dispensary, three of which are walking distance from campus: Dinky Area South, intersection of Harrison Street and Nassau Street, and Witherspoon Street between Green Street and Valley Road. Given that marijuana was legalized in New Jersey in November 2020, the task force hopes that by allowing retail sales of marijuana, they can remove stigma around a product that has been legalized in the state for those over 21 years of age.

READ THE STORY →

From Opinion: 

Cannon Green Bonfire.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian
Guest Opinion Contributor Jess Deutsch ’91, current Associate Director of Student-Athlete Services, reflects on the speeches given and general atmosphere of the Cannon Green bonfire, celebrating the Princeton football team’s wins against both Harvard and Yale this season. Deutsch discusses the importance of coming together to support one another, especially given the many “things to be cynical about in the world right now.” Deutsch writes, “I hope you all keep showing up for each other. [...] Be on the same team as everybody else here whenever you have the chance. Even when there is work to do.”

From Prospect:

Two YouTubers, MrBeast and Mark Rober, teamed up with two prolific ocean cleanup organizations — Ocean Conservancy and Ocean Cleanup. Each dollar donated equals a pound of trash removed from the ocean, and the campaign seeks to raise $30 million by Jan. 1. Contributing writer Claire Shin describes how the fundraiser has already reached half of its goal, even though only two weeks have passed. While some viewers are quick to assert that YouTube and other social media are used exclusively for videos about drama and videogames, the YouTubers’ campaign demonstrates that our generation “can make a difference beyond…in MrBeast’s words, ‘just retweets.’”

From Features:

Outside of Wawa.
Adam Sanders / The Daily Princetonian
The Princeton Wawa, the 24-hour convenience store located on campus, is more than just a place to acquire late-night snacks for students. It also represents a staple of Princeton nightlife, the go-to spot for students to frequent after a long night partying on the Street or after countless hours spent studying at Firestone. Despite its centrality to student life, Wawa rests on the shoulders of employees who must contend with crows of inebriated and often maskless students. As the ongoing pandemic causes many campus dining options to shutter their doors, Wawa continues to serve as the key venue for students looking to satiate their midnight pangs of hunger.

From Satire:

Morgan Pawson ’23.
Pxhere / CC0 1.0
In purely satirical and entirely fictional news, an undergrad junior makes a LinkedIn post announcing how “grateful and humbled” they are to be making ridiculous sums of money next summer. Also, in an effort to condense 10 years of construction into the span of a month, the University will begin tearing down and rebuilding all dorms right now. Like, right this instant.

At Your Leisure:

• Join Multimedia writers Eva Keker and Amaya Dressler for a quick tour of Murray-Dodge Café, a mainstay on campus that offers students free homemade cookies, coffee, and tea!
  • Be sure to listen to a new episode of Daybreak, a daily news podcast from the 'Prince', here
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp