Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Amherst ends legacy admissions; Nassau Street’s Starbucks shortens open hours

Students walking around Amherst College
“Walking around Amherst College” by Office of Communications, Amherst College / CC BY-ND 2.0

Todays Briefing: 

Last Wednesday, on Oct. 20, Amherst College announced the end of their legacy admissions, a policy that granted admission preference to children of alumni. Many cited the policy as a barrier against low-income, first-generation, and minority students and praised the change. With the announcement, professors, alumni, and students across the country are now calling on their own institutions to follow suit. 

Notably, 13.1 percent of Princeton’s current undergraduate student body are children or stepchildren of alumni. Deputy University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss has also stated that Princeton does hold “recognition of the special bond that Princeton has with its alumni,” though the data has shown a decrease in focus on legacy status over the last 20 years. 

“‘Now is the time to end this historic program that inadvertently limits educational opportunity by granting a preference to those whose parents are graduates of the College,’ Amherst president Biddy Martin wrote in the statement announcing the decision.”

READ THE STORY →

The Starbucks on Nassau Street has drastically cut its hours due to a temporary staffing shortage. With the store being situated in a college town, most of the employees, who are either high school or college students, are only able to work limited hours. The store now operates from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. on weekdays and is closed on the weekends. The store will return to its normal hours when it has enough employees to properly staff each shift. In the meantime, show compassion to the baristas!

READ THE STORY →

In Prospect

Gabriel Robare / The Daily Princetonian
Many of us take different paths around campus each day; each path brings its own share of beauty, thought, and reflection. Inspired by his walks on campus, Senior writer Gabe Robare meditates on the desire path — a trail created by repeated foot traffic — in a passage from Thoreau’s “Walden,” as well as his personal journey, as someone who finds joy in forging paths and patterns in the midst of chaos.

In Opinion

At Your Leisure

Relax
Elizabeth Medina / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker
and Hank Ingham. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp