Thursday, September 2, 2021

Students attend in-person classes;
Tornado warning

Students gather for JRN 445: Investigative Journalism — Accountability Reporting
Ashley Fan / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

After over a year of online learning and remote classrooms, students headed back to in-person classes on Sept. 1, 2021. Many students, primarily those in the Class of 2024, had yet to step into a physical classroom or experience any form of in-person learning at Princeton due to the spring 2021 COVID-19 safety guidelines and social contact. Similar to members of the Class of 2024, many first-year students who have not attended in-person classes over the past year due to the global pandemic expressed enthusiasm and excitement for the semester ahead.

Greg Serrano Arevalo ’25 expressed that “it was really nice to engage in discussions with other students in a physical classroom. The social dynamics were greatly facilitated by being able to interact with one another in-person, which was much different and more beneficial to meaningful conversations than in the Zoom environment. I enjoyed not having to press a button to unmute myself.”

As per the University announcement released on Aug. 23, students are required to wear masks in classrooms unless there are fewer than 12 students in the class and the professor allows students to take masks off.

READ THE STORY →

At 5:46 PM EST on Sept. 1, all campus community members received a TigerAlert emergency notification warning regarding an incoming tornado. According to the alert message, “[a] tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted on the ground and you should take immediate cover. You should stay away from windows as well as doors and walls that face the exterior of the building.” As per The National Weather Service, students and others on campus were advised to “take immediate action to take cover.” 

Several buildings on campus, such as Campbell Hall and Holder Hall in Rockefeller College, have reported incidents of flooding.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

At Your Leisure:

Be sure to listen to Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian's daily news podcast. The most recent episode features the first in-person day of classes (in 17 months!). Listen here or on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Google Podcast.
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp