Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Classes of 2024 and 2025 participate in opening activities; eating clubs institute
 members-only policy due to COVID-19

Class of 2025 students walk at the Pre-Rade.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

On Sunday, first-year students took part in several orientation traditions, including Opening Exercises, the Pre-Rade, a barbecue dinner, and the Step Sing in front of Whig Hall. The class of 2024 joined them in the Pre-Rade, to commemorate their own arrival to campus after a year of virtual learning due to COVID-19. At Opening Exercises, President Eisgruber emphasized Princeton’s resilience and offered advice to the student body.

Eisgruber stated that “Princeton is a community and an institution where flawed and resilient human beings support one another to learn, grow, cope with our limitations, and pursue the transcendent through scholarship, service, and the arts.” Opening Exercises also included the traditional interfaith blessings and presentation of undergraduate awards to returning class years. 

READ THE STORY →

All the eating clubs are back, but with a caveat! As a safety precaution, the Interclub Council (ICC) has mandated a members-only policy for all clubs until the weekend of the 16th. Fall Lawnparties, which is set to take place on Sunday, Oct. 3, will not be affected under the current policy.

READ THE STORY →

In Opinion

USGS Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab / Wikimedia Commons
We have a one-time chance to change Princeton

In her first Letter From the Editor of the school year, Editor-in-Chief Emma Treadway calls on students to take the return of students to campus after over a year and a half as an opportunity to recreate Princeton and its culture. Treadway states, “We have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to re-do Princeton, reconsidering our traditions, resetting our expectations, and recommitting ourselves to a ‘people first’ mentality.” She notes that the Class of 2022 is the only class to remember a “normal” Princeton, and that the Classes of 2022 and 2023 could be instrumental in changing Princeton’s practices and traditions for the better. 

See it, share it, stomp it

“See it, share it, stomp it! These are the steps you should follow if you see the insect called the spotted lanternfly around Princeton.” Guest columnist Sreya Jonnalagadda describes how lanternflies have caused severe damage on various trees and floral plants in Princeton’s beautiful gardens and neighboring states by sucking plants’ sap and excreting honeydew, and urges the community to take measures to protect our gardens.

From the Prospect

The view as a spotlight operator for Triangle.
José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian
The Triangle Club is coming back stronger than ever with its Frosh Week show! Associate Prospect Editor José Pablo Fernández García rejoices the return of the club’s Frosh Week show and the many pre-COVID-19 activities returning to campus. Referencing a past piece in which he wondered when he would next get to experience a Triangle show in person, he states, “Now, I’m sitting at home writing again, but this time, I’m waiting only a handful of days, if all goes well, before I get to hear ‘Old Folks’ Home’ and so many more of my favorite Triangle songs and jokes fill McCarter once more.”
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker
and Hank Ingham. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp