Friday, April 16, 2021

Professor, University alumni appointed to Supreme Court Commission; Dean Dolan sends faculty-wide memo addressing student mental health

Panorama of the U.S. Supreme Court building at dusk.
Joe Ravi / Wikimedia Commons

Todays Briefing: 

Professor Keith Whittington and University alumni Heather Gerken ’91, Richard Pildes ’79, and Bertrall Ross (MPA) ’03 have been appointed to President Joe Biden’s Commission on the Supreme Court of the United States. The commission, a bipartisan group of scholars, will analyze and compile arguments for and against reforming the Supreme Court. On his appointment, Whittington told the ‘Prince’, “I’m looking forward to getting started on what should be an interesting and important project.” The commission will be required to finish its report within 180 days of its first public meeting. 

READ THE STORY →

In a memo sent on April 13 to all University faculty, Dean of the College Jill Dolan addressed the issue of students’ mental health after this extraordinary academic year and encouraged faculty to consider incorporating more leniency and compassion into their approaches to final assignments as the semester approaches its end. Dolan emphasized that a variety of stressors could be at play in contributing to students’ poor mental health states, including Zoom fatigue, a shortened spring break, and COVID-19 pandemic concerns that have been exacerbated by the recurring incidents of racism and violence that have embroiled the nation.

According to an email sent by University Spokesperson Jess Fasano to The Daily Princetonian, the Council of Psychological Services (CPS) has booked a historically unprecedented 1,490 clinical appointments during this academic year alone. 

Furthermore, Fasano noted that “the number of students who have been hospitalized is up by 60 percent so far this year compared with the same time period a year ago.”

READ THE STORY →

Lydia B. and William M. Addy ’82 have provided the University with a major gift to support undergraduate student expansion through naming Addy Hall, a dormitory in Perelman College, one of two new residential colleges under construction that is slated to house students as early as the 2022-23 academic year. 

“Knowing the Addys’ devotion to Princeton and their commitment to service, I am so pleased that future Princetonians will be able to call Addy Hall their home. ‘Addy’ will take its rightful place alongside the names of buildings that have been on this campus for generations,” wrote Dean of the College Jill Dolan in a memo announcing the Addys’ donation.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Celebrate this incredible achievement with a handcrafted Princeton Class Ring by Signitas.

In Opinion 

Robertson Hall, home of the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs
Zane R. / Wikimedia Commons
Imposter Syndrome

In an introspective column, Maisie McPherson writes that imposter syndrome—defined as a psychological problem that causes individuals to doubt their qualifications and regard themselves as terrible at things they excel in—represents a prevalent issue for University students who feel an overwhelming pressure to rise to the levels of accomplishment of their peers. Particularly amid the COVID-19 pandemic, McPherson notes that imposter syndrome has metastasized into a more severe problem as student burnout has soared and the pandemic continues to exact a toll on students’ mental health. 
#ANewDeal4HigherEd

The COVID-19 pandemic has upended public education systems. From limited funding to a lack of technological resources, public schools and universities have faced numerous financial hurdles. In fact, many public universities have been allocating funds to departments based on which department will generate more revenue. In light of this, Faculty Columnist Melissa Reynolds argues that A New Deal for Higher Education will provide much-needed funding to higher education, benefiting public education systems.

Editorial Board: Princeton needs to explain its COVID-19 policies

The Daily Princetonian Editorial Board calls on the University to more fully explain the justifications behind its COVID-19 policies, many of which, the Ed Board argues, appear arbitrary.

The Board states “If the University wants students to buy into its COVID-19 mitigation protocols, it must ensure they are realistic and well-reasoned as well as properly and proactively explained.”

At Your Leisure

Lauren Fromkin / The Daily Princetonian
"Unusual Unused U"
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Auhjanae McGee. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp