Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Trevor Noah will be 2021 class day speaker; University partners with Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research

“Trevor Noah” by Hayden Schiff / Wikimedia Commons

Todays Briefing: 

South African comedian, host of the Daily Show, and writer Trevor Noah will be the 2021 Class Day speaker. Noah’s presence as an international figure in American media, his continuous service to his community, and his insightful, poignant takes on race and identity have made him an inspiration for many.

READ THE STORY →

Princeton will become a partner of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research. The University will open a new branch that is primarily focused on understanding the impact of diet habits on cancer metabolism. The branch will be directed by Joshua Rabinowitz, Professor of Chemistry at Princeton, alongside Eileen White, Professor of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry at Rutgers University, and Yibin Kang, Professor of Molecular Biology at Princeton. The Princeton branch will join more than a dozen Ludwig locations.

“We think there's the opportunity to make a profound difference in both the incidence of cancer and the outcomes for cancer patients by understanding the relationship between metabolism, diet, the immune system, and cancer,” Rabinowitz notes.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Celebrate this incredible achievement with a handcrafted Princeton Class Ring by Signitas.

Opinion

OPINION: In lieu of voter suppression unfolding in Georgia, Major League Baseball (MLB) has made a bold move to move this summer’s All Star Game and MLB Draft from Georgia to Colorado. By cutting the period in which voters can request absentee ballots, requiring state-issued ID, and decreasing dropbox availability, the law is said to affect Democrats and Black voters disproprotionately. Commissioner Robert Manfred has voiced his opposition to “restrictions to the ballot box,” yet Georgia Governor Brian Kemp decries the move as “cancel culture.” Columnist Julia Chaffers argues that politics shape every dimension of society, including sports, and that “Georgia Republicans ... should do their jobs and honor the voices of their constituents instead of suppressing their power.” 

The Prospect

A solitary couple walk through Henry Courtyard on a rainy morning.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

While many of us may find ourselves caught in the daily monotony of online classes, meals, and occasional walks, guest columnist Brigitte Harbers urges students to delve into other activities. Recounting the lessons described in “Five Hobbies” in the book “Atomic Habits,” Harbers suggests that students cultivate hobbies and interests that lie outside of the academic arena. And, engaging in such activities — whether they be creative endeavors or communal events — can bring enrichment to our lives beyond Princeton. 

At Your Leisure

Courtesy of goprincetontigers.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp