Wednesday, March 24, 2021
How financial resources affect higher education during the pandemic; reimagining the History Month
Elisa.rolle / Wikimedia Commons

Todays OPINION:

OPINION: Princeton’s campus is gradually resembling pre-pandemic conditions. From students studying outside to sports practices picking up, the University’s ecosystem is reclaiming what was lost. However, although Princeton was able to invite students back by implementing weekly testing protocols to keep COVID-19 case numbers low, faculty opinion contributor Melissa Reynolds, Lecturer in the History Department and Humanities Council, calls into question the role money plays in higher education during the pandemic.

Professor Reynolds notes that, while other publicly funded state institutions invited students to campus, “students at publicly-funded universities fared worse than those at elite private institutions” with higher COVID-19 numbers and fewer financial resources.

READ THE COLUMN →

OPINION: Columnist writer Brittani Telfair points out that history months, such as Black History Month and Women’s History Month, are “symbolic” gestures that are “not enough to confront the realities of structural injustice.” She points out the need to address intersections of identities as well as the problems with identifying only high-achieving individuals within a marginalized group or celebrating historical figures without context. The former, Telfair argues, presents the case that these marginalized communities would have to “earn the end of their oppression or exploitation,” while the latter fails to emphasize the structures that held back these people in the first place. 

READ THE COLUMN →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 

A cappella auditions go virtual:

FEATURES: At this point, most of us are accustomed to unmuting, speaking, and holding conversations over zoom. But, what about singing? Since March of last year, a cappella groups, like many student groups, have been contemplating whether to host virtual auditions for interested members. Features writer Cecilia Zubler sits down with members and leaders of various a cappella groups to discuss how, despite the barriers of COVID-19, many of Princeton’s 14 a cappella groups have continued to create music.

Studying with Spotify:

PROSPECT: Midterms are over! Yet, with the last stretch of the semester ahead, ditch the lo-fi beats and try these Spotify playlists to get on the grind. Get those problem sets! Get those essays!

At Your Leisure:

We get how many swipes?!
Ari Riggins / The Daily Princetonian
Background Noise
Arianna Borromeo / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp