Wednesday, March 10, 2021

USG Allocates Funds for Tigers in Town; University Fined for Illegal Exports

Andrew Somerville / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

The Undergraduate Student Government has allocated funds toward the Tigers in Town initiative with plans to host future events with local businesses that would be open to all undergraduate students. In addition, the USG allocated funds to the Sustainability Committee for future programming. A presentation by the OIT mentioned a new feedback survey for students to comment on technology accessibility. Lastly, 10 new members were approved to the Diversity and Equity Committee. 

READ THE STORY →

PU paid $54,000 in settlement with the U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS) for improper export of animal pathogens and genetic elements, which are controlled for “Chemical and Biological Weapons reasons.” The University is implementing compliance training and export audits.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 
Paige Allen / The Daily Princetonian

Food for Thought: 

What if Princeton created a “SugarEdu” equivalent of the mandatory AlcoholEdu which all first-year students are required to enroll in? Surrounded by sugary snacks and foods on campus, Columnist Kelsey Ji emphasizes the importance of recognizing the danger of excessive sugar consumption and calls on the University to educate students about healthy, mindful sugar consumption habits.

READ THE COLUMN →

On Free Speech:

Each spring, one member from the senior class is elected to be the Young Alumni Trustee (YAT), a position which helps bridge the disconnect between undergraduates and University administrators. Under the current election system, candidates must pledge to not reveal their perspectives on policy issues — preventing other students and alumni from making an informed vote. The Daily Princetonian Editorial Board calls for the University to make changes in the election process: 

“The University should allow these candidates to engage with voters, lay out their priorities, and explain why their four years at Princeton make them well-suited for the role — and it should lift the campaigning ban for all future YAT elections. Otherwise, as Te noted, this process is little more than a popularity contest.”

READ THE COLUMN →

At Your Leisure:

Ashley Chung / The Daily Princetonian
Take a break from studying and play this week’s crossword puzzle, “In Medias Res,” created by Ana Pranger. Pranger is the first of Puzzles’ new crew of staffers to publish a puzzle! From here forward, crossword puzzles will be published on Tuesdays and Fridays by contributing constructors.
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp