Wednesday, February 17, 2021

University begins "pooling" samples for COVID-19 testing, protesters demand access to COVID-19 resources

"A protest outside FitzRandolph Gate on Saturday, Feb. 13 called for Princeton University to share its COVID-19 testing resources with residents of the town of Princeton and nearby communities."
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Today's Briefing: 

For those on campus, the ritual of scanning a COVID-19 saliva test-kit barcode, dropping the sample off, and checking for test results has become all too familiar. Behind the scenes, however, testing procedures will be changing.

In the few months that it has been actively operating, Princeton's COVID-19 testing lab has provided students and faculty with quick results and efficient testing procedures. Continuing to optimize testing, the testing lab announced that it will be employing a
pooling method, in which several people's saliva samples will be combined for testing. As the lab transitions to the "pooling" method, physician Irini Daskalaki and Professor of Molecular Biology Dan Notterman will continuously review the ability detect positive samples in pooled testing.

READ THE STORY 

On February 13th, approximately 175 protesters gathered outside Nassau Hall to demand that the University provide surrounding municipalities with COVID-19 testing, contact tracing, quarantine housing, and vaccination services (when available). The protest, which was facilitated by organizations such as Princeton Mutual Aid (PMA) and Princeton Anti-Austerity Coalition (PAAC), urged the crowd to maintain social distancing while calling for the University to expand pandemic resources to Mercer County residents. 

READ THE STORY →

Last week, the Daily Princetonian published an investigative report surrounding claims of inappropriate conduct by Professor Joshua Katz. This week, the Daily Princetonian's Editorial Board highlights the flaws inherent in Princeton's campus culture and calls for the University to create an atmosphere where students feel empowered to speak out against misconduct and seek support when needed.

READ THE COLUMN →

SPONSORED: Join People and Stories for an inspiring evening with Danielle Allen!
Courtesy of Matthew Marquardt ’21

Matthew Masquardt ’21 bikes cross-country for St. Jude's

Senior Matthew Marquardt ’21 spent his winter break planning and executing a cross-country bike ride to raise money for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. The ambitious idea came to Marquardt, a swimmer on the men's varsity team, after the Ivy League announced the cancellation of intercollegiate athletic competitions.

After biking 2,479 miles in just 20 days, Marquardt reflects on the bumps along the road and the importance of perseverance — a quality that gave many of Marquardt's teammates a “perspective about their lives.”

Topaz Winters on deriving meaning from suffering

Topaz Winters, also known as Priyanka Aiyers ’23, is an internationally acclaimed poet, artist, visionary creator, and student. The Prospect's Paige Allen sits down with Winters to discuss her early years as a poet in Singapore, publishing her second full-length collection, and life at Princeton. Winters reflects on her relationship with poetry and learning to choose words with care and intention.

“To me, poetry should never come from a place of fear,” Winters said. “When we think about the rawness or the nitty-gritty of poems, that — I believe, at least — is the heart of where my work arises and the heart of what it’s trying to get at.”

At Your Leisure:

• PROSPECT: Senior writer Lillian Chen draws parallels between her own life and that of Joe from “Soul”, the latest movie from Disney's Pixar. As a senior in college attempting to navigate what post-graduation life could look like, Chen reflects on how “Soul” taught her that "our work can still be meaningful even if it wasn’t what we initially sought out to do."
  • LISTEN: Catch up on the latest episodes of Daybreak, a daily news podcast from The Daily Princetonian's, available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Google Podcast.
Pooled Saliva
Jojo Deep / The Daily Princetonian
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 
Website

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp