Monday, February 1, 2021

Novogratz Bridge Year Program announces reforms after allegations of discrimination, Sachs Scholarship awarded

Snowfall in front of Firestone Library 
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Today's Briefing: 

It's a snowy day here in Princeton and a busy day all around! Today marks the first day of classes for the Spring 2021 semester, as well as the start of regular production for The Daily Princetonian under the 145th Board, lead by Editor-in-Chief Emma Treadway.

In the spirit of new beginnings, I’m thrilled to introduce myself, Rooya Rahin, as The Daily Princetonian’s new newsletter editor. For the next year, I will work alongside a team of dedicated newsletter writers to get you the most important Princeton news every day, as well as the latest from Opinion, Sports, Puzzles, and more! Our team members will each bring their own creativity and flair to the newsletter and we're beyond excited to show you the best of the ‘Prince’.

Although daily print production remains halted due to COVID-19, we'll continue to put the “Daily” in The Daily Princetonian and share the work of our brilliant staff. If you're not yet subscribed, click here to sign up and stay informed on the latest Princeton news. 

The University’s Novogratz Bridge Year program announced a series of reforms after students made allegations of facing discrimination and racism during their trips. The reforms, designed in partnership with Rested Root Corp, an social justice educational firm, emphasize greater dialogue with students prior and during the program. The policy reforms include "country-specific" resources for students of "targeted identities" as well as the creation of affinity groups. Bridge Year Senegal alumna Alison Parish ’24 relayed her concerns to the ‘Prince’, stating “I hope it is not only dialogue, because sometime when we do a lot of dialogue around race and social justice and inclusion it becomes monotonous and people drown it out.”

READ THE STORY →

Princeton, in line with other Ivy League Universities, has pushed its admissions decision date, known colloquially as “Ivy Day,” from March 28 to April 6, citing an increase in the number of applicants this year. According to Media Relations Specialist Ayana Gibbs, the University received over 37,000 applications during this application cycle, an increase of 15 percent compared to the previous year.

READ THE STORY →

The Sachs Scholarship, named in honor of Daniel Sachs ’60, has been awarded to Jimin Kang ’21, Aisha Tahir ’21, and Oxford graduate Hannah Duffus. The annual scholarship provides funding for three students to pursue a postgraduate education.

READ THE STORY →

Last Thursday, former SPIA Dean Cecilia Rouse, Biden’s nominee to chair the Council of Economic Advisers (CEA), spoke on the COVID-19 pandemic and the economy, and answered questions on wealth inequality at her virtual confirmation hearing. Rouse previously served as a member of the CEA under President Obama. If confirmed, she would be the first Black leader of the council. 

READ THE STORY →

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas)
Michael Vadon / Wikimedia Commons

What you need to know about Sen. Ted Cruz ’92

• Sen. Ted Cruz ’92 (R-Texas) continues to face condemnation from students and alumni after he objected to the certification of electoral votes from the 2020 election.
  • Multiple petitions against Cruz have been released, including one created by Joshua Faires ’20, which calls on the University to preemptively bar Cruz from receiving any University honors or titles. 
  • Another petition calls on the Whig-Cliosophic Party to revoke the James Madison Award that the Senator received in 2016. The Cliosophic Party has released a statement against a revocation. 
At your leisure
  • FROM OPINION: Columnist Andi Grene argues that the careless mispronunciation of Vice President Kamala Harris' name by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor ’76 and others on the political arena are rooted in America's cultural hierarchy, which favors white Americans. 
  • FROM THE PROSPECT: In an intimate Q&A, The Prospect sat down with Janielle Dumapit ’23 to talk about her new EP, “Rose Colored Glasses”, and the songwriting process that led to its creation. 
Quarantine Diaries
Abigail Litvak / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 
Website
Referred by a friend? Click here to subscribe to ‘Prince’ Daily Newsletter!

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp