Friday, May 3, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
Annual May Day March stops at ‘Gaza Solidarity Encampment’
Protesters at the May Day March stopped at the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” on their route to Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church.
Calvin K. Grover / The Daily Princetonian

May Day March stops at “Gaza Solidarity Encampment”: Protesters gathered for the University’s annual May Day March, honoring International Workers Day and advocating for labor rights. Led by student groups like Princeton Young Democratic Socialists of America and SPEAR, the march stopped at sites including the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” and Dorothea’s House, addressing issues like the closure of the Elizabeth, N.J. Detention Center and support for Palestine. Speakers included Sireen Sawalha, discussing struggles in Palestine, and calls were made for unionization among graduate students. The march culminated at Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church, emphasizing solidarity and activism in the pursuit of justice.

READ THE STORY→

Princeton faculty member dies in traffic accident: The death of Dr. William Noel, a prominent figure in the field of Medieval Studies, has left colleagues reeling from the sudden loss. Noel’s contributions to digitizing and making medieval manuscripts freely available online have transformed the field and earned him widespread recognition and admiration. Known for his visionary leadership and commitment to inclusivity, Noel leaves behind a legacy that has profoundly impacted Medieval Studies and will continue to shape it for years to come.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Is Hamas deserving of Princetonians’ solidarity?

Sit-in and counter-protester signs.

In this piece, Guest Contributor Jacob Colchamiro ’25 expresses his dismay at his classmates, stating, "it is unacceptable that some of my peers are supporting the rhetoric of Hamas and other terrorist organizations." He recalls the murder of an Israeli woman by Hamas, emphasizing the pain such endorsement brings to the victims’ families. He also calls attention to students that "held a Hezbollah flag at the center of their protest circle," emphasizing that "there is no justification when you’re a bystander to the blatant support of terrorism." Colchamiro cites Princeton professor emeritus Michael Walzer to argue that Israel’s actions in defending itself against Hamas attacks are a justifiable war. He criticizes the protesters for supporting terrorism and neglecting the nuanced realities of the conflict, highlighting the unprecedented efforts by Israel to minimize civilian casualties in urban warfare.

READ THE PIECE→
______________________________________________________

USG’s recent statement failed to properly represent student interests: The recent “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” has sparked controversy, leading to the arrest of two graduate students and condemnation of Princeton's administration from multiple student and faculty groups. Yet the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) has failed to condemn these actions. Arman Nemati ’27 criticizes the USG for not aligning with the broad campus support for the peaceful protesters and failing to represent the student body effectively, a sentiment echoed in the lackluster turnout and engagement in USG elections. Nemati emphasizes the importance of student activism and the right to protest, urging future USG representatives to take a more active and supportive role in defending these fundamental student rights.

READ THE PIECE→

More from Opinion:

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

SPORTS | Tiger ties: Kaitlyn Chen transfers to UConn

Chen with the ball during 2023 Ivy Madness semifinal versus Penn.
Photo courtesy of Nathan Gage/The Daily Princetonian.

Senior guard and captain Kaitlyn Chen has announced her commitment to play basketball at the University of Connecticut for her final year of eligibility, joining a team fresh off a Final Four run. Chen, one of the most decorated players in Princeton basketball history, leaves behind a legacy of success, including three Ivy League titles and multiple March Madness victories. Under the guidance of legendary coach Geno Auriemma, Chen aims to continue her impressive career and pursue a national championship with the Huskies.

READ THE PIECE→
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Lindsay Pagaduan. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA