Monday, April 1, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
Class of 2028 admitted, first class following affirmative action ban
Nassau Hall on a sunny winter day.
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian.

Class of 2028 admitted: The University offered admission to the Class of 2028 on Ivy Day, traditionally the day Princeton accepts the majority of its next year’s class, marking a historic first in the absence of affirmative action since the US Supreme Court struck it down in 2023. Despite the lack of published data for the accepted class, students express mixed feelings about the change and its impact on their applications and future experiences at Princeton, with some highlighting their diverse backgrounds and achievements. Prospective students share their excitement and relief upon receiving acceptance letters, reflecting on their journeys and aspirations for their Princeton experience, while the admissions process continues with Regular Decision being the final round for this cycle.

READ THE STORY→

USG discusses collaboration with MSA; approves budget increases for trips, events: During the sixth spring semester meeting of the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate, presentations were given on a University diversity report and collaboration with the Muslim Student Association (MSA), alongside budget increases being approved. USG President Avi Attar ’25 provided updates on initiatives including a Passport to the Arts pilot and efforts to increase menstrual product accessibility. MSA co-president Leena Memon ’25 outlined the association's goals and highlighted areas where USG could assist, while budget items for events like Porchfest and Six Flags were approved by the Senate.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Princeton postdocs and scholars are united on unionization, and we’re ready to vote

Nearly 100 postdocs and scholars protested in December 2023.
Courtesy of Sam Nastase

Princeton postdocs and scholars are rallying for unionization, with over 65 percent signing authorization cards to demonstrate their support for collective bargaining. They seek to negotiate better pay, benefits, and working conditions, citing issues like housing priority and representation on University governing bodies. Despite potential administrative challenges, they remain united in their pursuit of a fair election process to establish a union and advocate for their rights.

READ THE PIECE →

More From Opinion:

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PUZZLES: Play our Monday crossword Blow by Blow

PROSPECT | Women studying women and the humanities

Leaves begin to fall as the weather becomes colder.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

As Women’s History Month comes to a close, assistant editor for the Prospect Mackenzie Hollingsworth explores her place as a woman studying humanities, and how women in the humanities have made it known that [they] will not ignore [their] history for the comfort of others.” She enters the conversation through an experience in an English class, highlighting themes in literature.

READ THE PIECE→

More from The Prospect:

SPORTS | This Week in Sports

Junior Lauren Sablone is coming off a year where she was named to the All-Ivy second team and is one of the Tigers stars early in the season.
Photo courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers

Top Games this Week

Men’s lacrosse stifles Dartmouth in 15–5 win

• Princeton’s defense kept Dartmouth from making it a competitive game, including shutting the Big Green out for a 37:03 stretch
  • Attacker Coulter Mackesy almost matched Dartmouth’s game total by himself, notching four goals
  • Goalie Michael Gianforcaro made 14 saves while only allowing two goals

Softball sweeps weekend series against Penn

• The Tigers cruised to both wins in 8–4 and 5–1 victories
  • In game one, first-year Cassidy Shaw went six innings and struck out a career-high nine while giving up three runs
  • In game two, junior Meghan Harrington went six and a third innings and gave up just one run to the Quakers
  • Lauren Sablone led the way hitting five for seven on the weekend, and Sophia Marsalo went three for three with two runs in the opener

No. 30 men’s tennis takes Ivy opener over Penn 4–2

• Princeton lost the doubles point, but would quickly bounce back by winning each of the first four singles lines to clinch the match
  • At the No. 3 singles line, Sebastian Sec bounced back after losing the first set 6–7 and clinching the win after taking the last two sets 6–0 and 6–1
  • No. 18 doubles pair Paul Inchauspe and Filippos Astreinidis were upset, but Inchauspe redeemed it with a two-set win at No. 1 singles

Games Next Week

Friday, April 5

• Men’s volleyball vs. NJIT
  • Women’s/Men’s tennis vs./@ Columbia

Saturday, April 6

• Women’s lacrosse @ Columbia
  • Men’s golf @ Princeton Invitational
  • Women’s water polo vs. Michigan, St. Francis
  • Baseball doubleheader @ Brown
  • Softball doubleheader @ Harvard
  • Men’s rowing @ Navy (Navy-Princeton Cup)
  • Women’s rowing vs. Harvard @ Carnegie Lake (Class of 1999 Cup)

Sunday, April 7

• Baseball @ Brown
  • Softball @ Harvard
  • Women’s/Men’s tennis @/vs. Cornell
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was written by Isabel Connolly and Kia Ghods. Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathan Beck. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA