Thursday, April 25, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor.

Our top three stories this morning:

BREAKING |‘Gaza Solidarity Encampment’ launches at Princeton, students arrested

Student arrested on McCosh Courtyard.
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian
Princeton students have begun a sit-in on McCosh Courtyard early Thursday morning, joining a wave of pro-Palestinian sit-ins across the country. Princeton Public Safety has issued its first warning to protesters, and at least two student arrest have been made. Student organizers first began to erect tents — after the initial arrests, they folded them away.  The students were warned that they would face arrest and being barred from campus if they refuse to stop after a warning, according to a campus-wide message on Wednesday morning from Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun. The Princeton students join a wave of pro-Palestinian sit-ins across the country, including at Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Brown.

Follow the ‘Prince’ for updates.

READ THE STORY→
In preemptive move, U. says encampment protestors will likely be arrested and barred from campus: Princeton students are preparing to set up a “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” following recent encampments at Columbia University, Yale University, and other college campuses. In an email sent to undergraduate students at 10:08 a.m. yesterday, Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun wrote that students participating in an encampment on campus will be arrested and “immediately” barred from University grounds. University disciplinary proceedings resulting from such activities may also result in “suspension, delay of a diploma, or expulsion.” The move is the University’s harshest proposed action towards student protest since Oct. 7 and a rare step in which a university has preemptively warned that it will arrest student protestors for participating in an encampment before tents were erected. Despite the message from Calhoun, an organizer of the encampment sent a group chat message, explaining “this action is still on, and we will not be deterred.” 

READ THE STORY→
Campus politics on the ballot: When do student referenda succeed?: With the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) not bringing forward any new referenda for the student body to vote on, the ‘Prince’ looked back at those from the past decade to understand whether the formal process for enacting change ends up affecting University policy. In 2020, the campus activist group Divest Princeton put forth a referendum to students, questioning whether the University should divest its endowment from fossil fuel companies. More than 3,000 alumni, faculty, students, staff, and parents signed the group’s open letter addressed to President Christopher Eisgruber ’83. When a proposed reformation of the Honor Code was put forward in 2017, the four-part referendum was met with more than 87 percent student support. Today, students can see a significantly decreased number of students facing harsh disciplinary action from the University.

READ THE STORY

OPINION | On encampments, free speech, and ‘time, place, and manner’ rules on university campuses

President Christopher Eisgruber.
Sameer A. Khan / Fotobuddy. Courtesy of the Office of Communications

Amid protestor “confrontations at Columbia, Yale, and other campuses around the country,” President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 comments on encampments, free speech, and “time, place, and manner” rules. In his opinion, Eisgruber explains that encampments “create health and safety risks” that warrant an exception to Princeton’s free speech policy.

READ THE COLUMN→

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to today’s episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

SPORTS | Womens tennis claims Ivy League title in comeback thriller over Harvard

Princeton celebrates their Ivy League Championship win over Harvard.
Courtesy of @PrincetonTennis/X

Womens tennis claims Ivy League title in comeback thriller over Harvard: After a packed month of Ivy League play, No. 39 Princeton women’s tennis were crowned Ivy League champions for the fifth consecutive season. The Tigers lost only one meet to the No. 60 Pennsylvania Quakers, before winning the next six meets on the way to the title. Against Columbia, Princeton swept the doubles point and the first three singles slots to take the victory. The Tigers went on to win five of their six matches against Harvard and Yale, before losing a doubles point against Dartmouth this weekend. Soon after, Maia Sung ’24 and Bella Chhiv ’27 both took straight-set wins in singles, leading the Tigers to victory and one step closer to the Ivy League title. With the Ivy championship on the line for the Crimson and the Tigers by the end of Sunday, a deciding singles match was won by Alice Ferlito ’27 two games to one.

READ THE PIECE

The Prospect | USG Movie Reviews: The Idea of You

“The Idea of You” pre-screening at the Garden Theater.
Jessica Wang / The Daily Princetonian
Pre-screened by USG Movies at the Princeton Garden Theater at 9:45 p.m. on April 18, “The Idea of You” is best known for its origin story whose narrative is based on fanfiction about Harry Styles. Marketed as a rom-com, the movie is a guilty pleasure love story created by women for women, where divorced mother Solène Marchand meets boy band lead singer Hayes Campbell at Coachella. The movie features original songs from Hayes’s fictional band August Moon, with 2010s dance choreography making the movie an amusing throwback. The audience at the Garden Theater was lively for the full two hours, with the showing including enough comedy for all. “The Idea of You” will be released on Amazon Prime for public streaming on May 2, 2024, but, at the Garden Theater, watching the advance screening for the first time and laughing with friends made the showing more than worth it.

READ THE PIECE
More from The Prospect:
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Adanna Taylor. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you.
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA