Wednesday, April 24, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor, and Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:

Princeton Pro-Life revived post-Dobbs

Students hold up a Princeton Pro-Life banner at a counter-protest in 2022.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian
Pro-Life Club revival: The Princeton Pro-Life Club (PPL) has seen a resurgence, hosting over 16 events this academic year and boasting an 89-person membership on their GroupMe. President Nadia Makuc ’26 emphasized the group’s focus on education and building a culture of life, citing activities such as visits to pro-life vigils and support for pregnant women. While acknowledging the predominantly pro-choice campus environment, members like Abigail Readlinger ’27 and Benjamin Woodard ’25 expressed their willingness to engage in dialogue and advocate for their beliefs within the Princeton community.

READ THE PIECE →
Grad students will vote on unionization May 13 and 14: The University has entered into a stipulated election agreement with the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (UE), marking the first official step towards recognizing a graduate student union. The election, scheduled for May 13–14, will determine whether graduate students will be represented by UE, potentially becoming the largest union on campus. Dean of the Graduate School Rodney Priestley reiterated concerns about unionization, but emphasized the University’s respect for students’ right to vote and make their voices heard.

READ THE PIECE →

OPINION | This Earth Day, Princeton needs to become a climate justice leader

Protestors affiliated with Sunrise Princeton took to Nassau Hall on Earth Day.
Courtesy of Sunrise Princeton

Following the Reclaim Earth Day protest on Monday, Sunrise Princeton co-coordinators Alex Norbrook and Eleanor Clemans-Cope write about the vision of a university and community for climate justice. They argue that this vision starts with cutting ties with fossil fuel companies — complete divestment and dissociation — but extends to actions that affirmatively build a future that embodies climate justice, including building green, affordable housing for workers and community members in the town of Princeton and implementing worker safety and adaptation policies for climate disasters. This vision, created in coalition with other groups for justice, also calls for complete endowment transparency and endowment justice.

— Head Opinion Editor Eleanor Clemans-Cope 
& Columnist Alex Norbrook 
READ THE PIECE →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to today’s episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

FEATURES | More to medicine than science: The Compassionate Medicine Fellowship combines the humanities and sciences

Murray-Dodge Hall, home to the Office of Religious Life.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

The Compassionate Medicine Fellowship (CMF) is led by Jonathan Tenenbaum ’25, Sophia Zelizer ’25, Emely Fernandez ’25, and Tristan Szapary ’24. The CMF emphasizes the humanistic nature of patient care, and reflects growing interest in humanities majors among those hoping to pursue medicine. According to the University Health Professions Advising office, approximately 10 percent of medical school applicants between 2019 and 2023 were humanities majors. Zelizer expressed that cultivating compassion is especially relevant for students first entering the health field, explaining that “often when you do an internship or a junior-level job in the medical field, you end up mostly just being there for patients.” Associate Dean of the Office of Religious Life (ORL) Matt Weiner said that “it just shows the real and good complexity of Princeton students; ‘I can want to be a doctor, and I can also love literature and know that I can learn a lot from literature.’”

READ THE PIECE →

SPORTS | Princeton softball stands atop the Ivy League standings after defeating Yale

First year Sonia Zhang earned both Ivy League Player and Rookie of the Week honors after an impressive weekend against the Bulldogs.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

This weekend, Princeton Softball traveled to the Bulldogs home turf to face off against Yale, battling it out over three games in two days. The Tigers won all three games, with first-year third baseman Sonia Zhang taking home Ivy League Player and Rookie of the Week awards. The scoring began early, with sophomore catcher Julia Dumias hitting a home run in the top of the first inning. By the end of the fourth, the Tigers were up 3–1, before Yale took a 4–3 lead in the fifth. Sophomore pitcher Brielle Wright threw a no-hit seventh inning, which brought the Tigers to their first victory of the weekend at 7–6. The victory was soon echoed in the second game of the weekend, with the Tigers beating the Bulldogs 7–3. The third game brought the Tigers to an eight-game winning streak after an undefeated weekend against Yale. Princeton has a two-game lead in the Ivy League standings, with just two weekends left to play.

READ THE PIECE →

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you.
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA