Wednesday, April 17, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor, and Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:

Religious groups ramp up new student outreach for Preview

Murray-Dodge Hall.
Aarushi Adlakha / The Daily Princetonian

Religious groups ramp up new student outreach for Preview: When prospective Princetonians visited campus during Princeton Preview recently, many faith-based organizations were ready to welcome them. The Center for Jewish Life (CJL) hosted a booth at the Princeton Preview activities fair and opened the dining hall to families. Sarah Phillips ’27 attended a Shabbat dinner at the CJL before being admitted last year. She explained that she “felt a part of the community.” She added that “there’s so many different interests and reasons why people are looking to engage in the Jewish community.” The Muslim Students Association (MSA) relies primarily on online outreach to prepare for the incoming class by sending a Google form to incoming students to let them express interest in the organization. Diana Hernandez ’17 is the director of student affairs and alumni relations at the Aquinas Institute, a Catholic group on campus. She explained that religious groups “want people to be able to feel at home as soon as they arrive on campus,” no matter their religious beliefs.

READ THE STORY→

Ella Weber wins Truman Scholarship for public service: Ella Weber ’25 has been named as one of 60 recipients of the 2024 Truman Scholarship, an award given to college juniors to “recognize and reward their commitments to careers in public service.” Weber is a research fellow with Nuclear Princeton, where she produced a five-part “Scientific American” series about 15 nuclear missiles siloed in her tribe’s Fort Berthold reservation in North Dakota. Weber expressed that she would like to increase the number of Indigenous policy classes and professors “to support Indigenous-led projects.” She explained that winning the scholarship was “kind of crazy” and that “it’s nice to have other people saying you’re doing a good job and [they] see the leadership potential.”

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Bring back the course packet

Pequod packet.
Abigail Rabieh / The Daily Princetonian

Short on time, patience, and pages left in the printing quota, I found myself on the verge of tears in Firestone Library last week. Running between the 1 and B floors, desperately trying to get one of the several machines to which I had sent my French readings to produce them in corporeal form, I was thwarted by a classic technological meltdown. But as I averted my eyes from the concerned graduate student standing next to me and repressed my urge to hit one of the malfunctioning machines with the almost constantly broken stapler nearby, I recalled simpler semesters of my past, and realized that it doesn’t have to be this way. In my final column for the semester, I discuss the individual and universal merits that come from conducting readings on paper, and argue that Princeton should encourage professors to disseminate their readings through course packets, not online uploads.

— Public Editor Abigail Rabieh
READ THE PIECE →

At your leisure

FEATURES | From Hotspot to TigerJunction, student developers build apps to improve campus life

The Friend Center for Engineering Education houses COS 333.
Ammaar Alam / The Daily Princetonian

Student-developed apps like Hotspot and TigerJunction, created both independently and through courses like COS 333, serve various academic and social needs on Princeton's campus. Hotspot, launched by Ayo Oguntula ’23, Dylan Porges ’23, and Marie Sirenko ’25, streamlines entry into eating clubs through QR codes, while TigerJunction, developed by Joshua Lau ’26, enhances course planning with advanced search features and integration of multiple TigerApps. These projects reflect students’ commitment to leverage technology to enhance campus life and address existing inefficiencies, with plans for further expansion and improvement in the future.

READ THE PIECE →

SPORTS | No. 12 women’s water polo closes out undefeated conference regular season with wins over Harvard and Brown

Junior utility Kayla Yelensky has 175 career goals for the Tigers, placing her 10th all-time in the record book.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

The No. 12 women’s water polo team clinched the No. 1 seed in the CWPA postseason tournament by defeating both the No. 21 ranked Harvard Crimson and the No. 25 ranked Brown Bears over the weekend. Head Coach Derek Ellingson secured his 100th win with the women’s program during the victory against Harvard, with standout performances from players like Kayla Yelensky and Lindsey Lucas contributing to the team’s success throughout the matches. With their sights set on the CWPA Tournament, the Tigers look to maintain their momentum and continue their strong season performance.

READ THE PIECE →

THE PROSPECT | Princeton University Figure Skating Club brings Broadway to the ice

PU figure skaters pose in “Tigers On Ice.”
Natalia Diaz / The Daily Princetonian

The Princeton University Skating Club presented their annual “Tigers on Ice” show with a theme of “Broadway on Ice,” showcasing performances set to popular Broadway soundtracks. From graceful synchronized movements by the Synchro team to Zachary Yaninek ’26’s engaging rock performance, the skaters demonstrated their skills in a theatrical and playful manner. With pieces ranging from dramatic expressions to lighthearted renditions of musical favorites like “Hamilton” and “Mamma Mia,” along with a special tribute to seniors with a “High School Musical” medley, the show provided a memorable and entertaining experience reminiscent of a Broadway performance.

READ THE PIECE →

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA