Thursday, April 11, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
SPONSORED

“She’s such a builder:” Kauanui appointed to Indigenous Studies professorship

The Effron Center for the Study of America is located in Morrison Hall.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

“She’s such a builder:” Kauanui appointed to Indigenous Studies professorship: J. Kēhaulani Kauanui will assume positions in both the Department of Anthropology and the Effron Center for the Study of America. A current professor at Wesleyan University, Kauanui said she is excited to help continue to build up Princeton’s Indigenous Studies program. She visited campus last October, when she gave a talk on Hawaiian decolonization and feminism. According to the President of Native Graduate Students of Princeton (NGSP) Brandi Bushman GS, Kauanui “really developed relationships with the Native Hawaiian students, specifically, and the Native community generally” during her visit. Kauanui has taught in the American Studies and Anthropology departments at Wesleyan since 2000 and founded the Indigenous Studies Research Network. At Princeton, she is looking forward to collaborating with existing Indigenous studies initiatives on campus and to “do something bigger” with studies of global indigeneities.

READ THE STORY

OPINION | Allowing YAT candidates to campaign is essential to preserving Princeton's values

The bronze tigers guard the steps of Nassau Hall, where the Board of Trustees meets.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Young alumni trustee (YAT) election season is upon us again, and that means it's time for your annual reminder that the YAT election is an undemocratic sham. Yet as we revisit this conversation, I wanted to focus on the ways that the YAT process undermines campus free speech, in the hope that this aspect of the election might appeal to the powers that be inside Nassau Hall.

— Associate Opinion Editor Thomas Buckley 
READ THE COLUMN

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen today’s episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

THE PROSPECT | Living with disordered eating at Princeton

East Pyne Hall on a sunny day.
Lulu Pettit / The Daily Princetonian

Living with disordered eating at Princeton: Content Warning: The following article includes mention of disordered eating. University Counseling services are available at 609-258-3141. Lulu Pettit tells her story of coming to Princeton with “disordered eating” while dealing with seemingly infinite food and a thousand options to choose from. For Pettit, this change jumpstarted the healing process for her restrictive eating. TigerMenus allowed her to prepare herself before going into a dining hall and a University dietician gave guidance and frames of reference for what healthy eating habits look like. Above all, turning mealtimes into a community space mattered the most — whether catching up with friends, talking about upcoming assignments, or calling family. She encourages other students to use food as a point of connection with others on campus, to help turn mealtimes from something to fear into something to love.

READ THE PIECE→

My favorite places to get espresso in Princeton: Staff Prospect writer Christopher Nunez grew up in a household where espresso was the go-to choice of drink. Espresso became a part of his childhood that never faded away. In honor of the release of Sabrina Carpenter’s new single “Espresso,” Nunez shares his favorite Princeton coffee places. While he described Coffee Club’s iced coffee as the perfect blend of bitter and delicate boldness, Small World’s espresso tastes sweet yet sophisticated. Nunez typically goes to Chez Alice Pâtisserie for a hot coffee, while he says Sakrid Coffee Roasters is the go-to place for espresso that's delicious both hot and cold.

READ THE PIECE →

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Adanna Taylor. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA