Friday, March 8, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
At panel, Princeton unions look forward to recognition, focus on unity and engagement
Representatives from various labor unions on and around campus convened on Tuesday for a panel discussion.
Courtesy of Princeton YDSA

Union Panels: At a Labor Unions Panel hosted by the Princeton Young Democratic Socialists of America, union leaders, including SEIU-175 President Jeff Coley, discussed the importance of inter-union communication and solidarity within the University. Panelists, representing various campus unions and organizing efforts, shared challenges faced in unionization efforts, such as the push back from the University, the transient nature of certain workers like postdocs, and concerns over affordable housing for union members. The panel underscored the ongoing struggles for recognition and fair negotiations for graduate students, postdocs, and other workers on campus, emphasizing the role of unity and collective bargaining in improving working conditions and addressing systemic issues like housing and racial equity.

READ THE STORY→

Grad students organize for safe return of kidnapped colleague: Princeton Ph.D. candidate Elizabeth Tsurkov was kidnapped in Iraq by the Shiite militia Kataib Hezbollah in March 2023. Recently, efforts have surged again to organize for her release, with a group of concerned graduate students launching an advocacy effort on campus through a FreeFood listserv email on Tuesday. The group and Tsurkov's family has urged Congress to focus on her case. Sens. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) have already addressed her abduction in letters to Secretary of State Anthony Blinken. The campaign reemphasizes the urgency of Tsurkov’s situation and encourages the Princeton community to participate in efforts to secure her release by sending letters to Congress, with guidance provided on a website created by Tsurkov’s family.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Reactions: What data should the University release?

Joline and Campbell halls.
Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

The University releases an abundance of data surrounding different aspects of academic life and the inner workings of the institution. However, in order to reiterate its commitment to transparency, the Unversity must make more of an effort to avail more information to the general public. From climate emissions to distribution admissions, our columnists have identified numerous “gaps” in digital data that the University should fill. 

More from Opinion:

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PUZZLES: Play the Friday puzzle, “Tiger Throwdown” 

FEATURES | Mia González Guerrero serves coffee and kindness

Mia González Guerrero works at Witherspoon’s in Frist Campus Center
Rodolfo Arzaga / The Daily Princetonian

Mia González Guerrero, originally from the Dominican Republic with a rich background in marketing and communications, shifted her career to working in Campus Dining at Princeton University after the pandemic. Known for her deep commitment to spreading love and acceptance, González Guerrero has made a significant impact on students’ lives by addressing common challenges they face with empathy and support. Her remarkable influence led to her being nominated by students for the Hidden Chaplains program and being featured on Princeton’s student-run late-night talk show, All-Nighter, highlighting her role as a source of inspiration and warmth within the campus community.

READ THE PIECE→

SPORTS | On the road to Ivy Madness: How different styles shaped success for Princeton basketball

Head Coach Carla Berube and staff prior to Round of 32 matchup versus Utah.
Photo courtesy of Go Princeton Tigers.

The University’s basketball teams have distinguished themselves in the Ivy League with the women’s team focusing on a defensive strategy, highlighted by their ‘Get Stops’ mantra, and the men’s team emphasizing offensive execution through the ‘Make Shots’ approach. Both teams have achieved notable success, with the women's team winning 10 out of 13 Ivy League championships since 2010 and the men’s team also performing strongly. As they head into postseason play, both teams have high expectations, with their distinct strategies and successful regular-season performances setting the stage for potential success in the NCAA Tournament.

READ THE PIECE→

More from Sports:
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA