Monday, March 4, 2024
Good morning and happy midterms week! This is Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

This week, The Daily Princetonian will be publish Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Our top three stories this morning:
USG allocates funding and introduces new event registration format
The USG meeting on Mar. 3.
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

USG’s latest meeting updates: USG held its fourth spring semester meeting, introducing a new event registration system to consolidate existing platforms into one unified platform, set to launch on March 18. During the meeting, funding was approved for 13 student organizations, including various identity-based groups and initiatives, highlighting the community’s diverse interests and needs. Concerns were raised by SPEAR about transparency in meetings between the USG and the Department of Public Safety, specifically regarding security cameras in residential entryways and welfare check procedures, with USG President Avi Attar ’25 emphasizing the commitment to student needs and open channels of communication.

READ THE STORY→

University convenes task force to address hazing: The University announced the creation of a Hazing Prevention and Response Task Force to work with the StopHazing Hazing Prevention Consortium, aiming to assess campus climate and develop data-informed strategies for hazing prevention from 2023 to 2026. This initiative follows a period during which the University reported no adjudicated violations of its hazing policy from August 2023 to February 2024, emphasizing ongoing training programs to combat hazing. The task force’s efforts will include confidential focus groups with students and staff to inform hazing prevention strategies, reflecting the University’s commitment to ensuring the safety and well-being of its community.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Princeton is unsafe for pedestrians

Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

Princeton as a pedestrian: I’m Davis Hobley, a columnist for the “Prince.” Mercer County boasts a vehicle accident rate 22 percent above the national average. Accordingly, there is some risk present for pedestrians on and around Princeton’s campus. To prevent future incidents, the Princeton administration and local government should work together to optimize safety for pedestrians. This week, I discuss how these changes should include additional traffic signage and enforcement as well expanded spaces for pedestrians.
                                                                  — Columnist Davis Hobley 

READ THE PIECE→

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • CARTOON: Look below for Madison Anderson’s latest cartoon, “No PEVs? No problem!”

DATA | Despite making more than peers, Princeton graduate students take home less 

Cleveland Tower at the Graduate College.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian
The University’s graduate students receive the third highest stipends among a group of peer institutions analyzed, behind only Harvard and Stanford, indicating a relatively competitive financial support level within this select group. Despite this, when accounting for the cost of living, our graduate stipends fall short compared to what graduate students at peer institutions receive, as the median rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Princeton’s area is higher than in most other locations, except for New York City, Cambridge, and Palo Alto. The University has expressed commitment to addressing graduate student needs through regular meetings and the annual stipend review process, highlighting ongoing efforts to respond to changing student needs, although the comparison with stipends at other institutions suggests room for improvement.

READ THE PIECE→

FEATURES | Small World Coffee: a ‘vehicle for bringing people together’

Inside the Witherspoon location of Small World Coffee.
Courtesy of Jessica Durrie.
Small World Coffee, a beloved Princeton establishment, celebrated its 30th anniversary, marking three decades since founders Jessica Durrie and Brant Cosaboom opened their first location on Witherspoon Street, followed by a second on Nassau Street in 2006. The coffee shop has become a community hub, known for its unique coffee blends like “Crispy Hippie” and “Morning Glory,” and for fostering a strong sense of belonging among both employees and customers, facilitated by its commitment to hospitality, local art, and public concerts. With a focus on quality and community, Small World Coffee not only serves as a gathering place for students, professionals, and locals but also prides itself on fair employee treatment and has become an integral part of the Princeton community’s daily life.

READ THE PIECE→

SPORTS | Men’s basketball closes perfect home season with 79–77 win against Cornell

Caden Pierce led the Tigers in scoring in their Saturday night matchup against the Cornell Big Red.
Ammaar Alam / The Daily Princetonian

The men’s basketball team secured a 79-77 victory over the Cornell Big Red under the dome in Jadwin Gymnasium on Saturday night, marking their final home game of the season. Sophmore forward Caden Peters led the Tigers in scoring with 23 points, followed by senior guard Matt Allocco with 19 points and sophomore standout Xaivian Lee dropping 16. In front of a packed crowd, the Tigers honored their two graduating seniors — Allocco and senior forward Zach Martini. While Cornell opened up an early lead, the Tigers were able to overcome the Big Red. The win increases the Tigers' odds of securing the first seed in the Ivy League tournament should they be able to overcome Penn next weekend.

READ THE PIECE→

More from Sports:

PROSPECT | Midterms Sweet Treat Round Up

A collage of five desserts.
Olivia Pettit / The Daily Princetonian
University students have a variety of options for sweet treats to enjoy during study breaks, ranging from the late-night comfort of warm cookies at Murray Dodge Cafe to the refined desserts of Chez Alice and the casual snacks at Olives. For a more interactive experience, Fruity Yogurt offers customizable frozen yogurt, while Bent Spoon wins the debate for unique frozen treats with its banana whip and innovative ice cream flavors. These establishments provide much-needed respite and indulgence amidst the rigorous academic demands, reminding students of the importance of taking breaks and treating themselves.

READ THE PIECE→
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Lindsay Pagaduan. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA