Thursday, March 28, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor, and Caleb Bello, a contributing Newsletter writer. 

Our top three stories this morning:

Tower President to lead the ICC for the first time in 14 years

Tower Club's front patio on a sunny day.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Tower President to lead the ICC for the first time in 14 years: For the first time since 2010, the President of Tower Club is also President of the Interclub Council (ICC). Vincent Jiang ’25 was elected as ICC President on Monday, March 18, 2024, according to a press release from the ICC. Serving as Vice President will be Anna Johns ’25, President of Charter Club. The new ICC leadership will be tasked with managing the eating club admissions process, which this spring welcomed the largest undergraduate class in Princeton's history. The press release emphasized that the ICC will continue the work of previous officers and “draw lessons from the experience of the Class of 2026 during Spring Street Week 2024.”

READ THE STORY

Ford Graham ’86 indicted on multiple charges of fraud: Ford Graham ’86 was indicted for alleged involvement in multiple fraudulent schemes on Thursday, March 21st. The new indictment alleges that since 2012 Graham has defrauded at least $6 million from multiple individuals and institutions. Originally from Louisiana, Graham was a geology major, who, while running for class delegate in 1981, promised to be a “fair, honest, open-minded and responsible member of the USG.” He ended up placing fourth in that election. 

READ THE STORY

OPINION | Correct the curves: Princeton’s intro STEM courses are inequitable

Lewis Library and Fine Hall house many introductory STEM courses.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Correct the curves: Princetons intro STEM courses are inequitable: Hi, I’m Yushra Guffer, a contributing columnist for the Opinion section at the ‘Prince.’ As a sophomore now free from the introductory courses BSE students face, I have been struck by how unnecessarily difficult they were for students who lacked a rigorous high school academic background. Although the courses themselves are not necessarily ‘inequitable,’ there is an issue of ‘inequity’ in the academic backgrounds of the students. In this piece, I argue that Princeton needs to re-evaluate the structure of their courses so that these inequities and disparities can be mitigated by implementing equity-driven solutions to these introductory courses wherein a wide variety of students are enrolled.

— Contributing Columnist Yushra Guffer

READ THE COLUMN →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

PROSPECT | ‘If you can’t beat them, confuse them’: Academy Award-nominee Jeffrey Wright’s words of wisdom

Assorted ceramic creations at the New College West Ceramics Studio.
Isabella Dail / The Daily Princetonian

Princeton’s ceramics studio spins clay into creativity and community: The New College West Ceramics Studio, which opened in 2023, holds 13 events on average every week. Whether you prefer learning the pottery techniques of wheel throwing or hand building, the studio provides a space for community, even if you leave your first workshop empty-handed. According to Studio Associate Paige Walworth ’26, even though there are “so many places where things can go wrong,” after a few times “you can see the moment where something clicks within them.” As there are often no-shows for assigned sessions, studio manager Debbie Reichard’s “biggest pet peeve” is joining the waitlist if you can’t register for a spot before they fill up, as “they [students on the waitlist] can show up and, with permission, they might be able to stay.”

READ THE PIECE →

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Adanna Taylor. Illustration by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA