Tuesday, March 26, 2024
Good morning! This is Sunney Gao, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:

Preliminary fall 2024 course offerings leaked on Fizz three days early

Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

Fall 2024 Course List Leaked: An incomplete list of Princeton’s Fall 2024 course offerings was leaked yesterday morning when an anonymous user posted a file on the social media app Fizz. The file contains 962 course listings, far lower than the number of courses last fall. It’s also missing courses from certain designations like freshman seminars (FRS). University Spokesperson Jennifer Morrill, in a statement to The Daily Princetonian, wrote that the API containing course listings “allowed the data to be accessed a few days before the official release date of Thursday, March 28.” The API doesn’t contain any sensitive or private information. Adam Kelch ’24 noted that many student apps “monitor the API…have a recurring ping to this API to see if a new term of courses is released,” and then parse them. Joshua Lau ’26, co-president and developer for TigerApps, added that several students have access to the API for usage in student-run programs like TigerJunction or courses such as COS 333: Advanced Programming Techniques.

READ THE STORY→

Tigers trek to New York, Silicon Valley over Spring Break: Over Spring Break, the New York TigerTrek and AI TigerTrek programs—both sponsored by The Princeton Entrepreneurship Club—traveled to New York City and Silicon Valley respectively. This is the second year the group has participated in an AI-focused trek. On this year’s New York TigerTrek, titled “Passions and Professions,” the group met with two to three speakers every day in the entrepreneurship, technology, and venture capital fields. Fifteen students traveled to California to learn about opportunities in artificial intelligence (AI) research. While participants had differing familiarity with AI, all trip members were enthusiastic about the intersection of AI and their field. The group met with more than 15 speakers, with each day having a theme such as self-driving car companies

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | For CPS, accessible long-term care is the next step

Counseling and Psychological Services Waiting Room
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

The announcement of the new Frist Health Center highlights the university’s commitment to health, but it should also bring into sharp focus the immediate needs within our community that cannot wait until 2025. What struck me most in my conversations with peers was the universal desire for more meaningful, sustained support from Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS). It’s clear that expanding therapy session availability and frequency can significantly impact students’ lives. My goal in this piece was to emphasize the urgency of enhancing mental health support now.

— Contributing Columnist Maria Luisa Vieira Parada  

READ THE COLUMN →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

SPORTS | Coulter Mackesy reaches 100 goals as No. 17 Princeton men’s lacrosse downs No. 14 Harvard

Sophomore face-off specialist Andrew McMeekin running with possession versus Harvard.
Photo courtesy of @TigerLacrosse/X

Last Saturday, No. 17 ranked Princeton men’s lacrosse (5–3 overall, 1–1 Ivy League), defeated the No. 14 ranked Harvard Crimson (6–2 overall, 0–2 Ivy League) by a score of 14–11. This victory was a redemption game for the Tigers, who lost against Cornell 15-14 last weekend, and was particularly special because junior attacker Coulter Mackesy scored the 100th goal of his career, which only 15 Princeton lacrosse players have ever accomplished. Mackesy also joins a group of only five Princeton lacrosse players to have 100 goals and 50 assists in their career. Out of the Tigers’ last ten matchups against the Crimson, they’ve won seven times. Princeton will face Dartmouth (3–5 overall, 0–1 Ivy League) at home on Saturday, March 30, at 12 p.m. 

READ THE PIECE →

More from Sports:

PROSPECT | ‘If you can’t beat them, confuse them’: Academy Award-nominee Jeffrey Wright’s words of wisdom

Academy Award-nominated actor Jeffrey Wright addressed University community members at a Q&A session.
Tyler Wilson / The Daily Princetonian

After an evening screening of his 2024 Academy Award-winning film “American Fiction” at the Garden Theatre, star actor Jeffrey Wright sat down with Julian E. Zelizer, Professor of History and Public Affairs at Princeton for a Q&A session. At the event, Wright acknowledged the diversity of his filmography, telling the audience that he loves to “inhabit other spaces.” As for “American Fiction” and the discussion of divisive topics within, Wright argued that by “allowing us to laugh” the film “provides an open invitation” to discussion. Wright drew a connection between “American Fiction” and the University, explaining that people shouldn’t be afraid to engage in challenging discourse, especially at Princeton. When asked if he had advice for young people, Wright talked about his experience as an undergraduate at Amherst where he switched majors from political science to theater. He encourages students to explore their interests and “follow your own lead.”

READ THE PIECE →

More from Prospect:

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Elizabeth Polubinski. Illustration by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA