Thursday, March 21, 2024
Good morning! This is Sunney Gao, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
‘A Jewish home away from home’: Chabad House opens this week after renovations
The renovated Scharf Family Chabad House is 8,400 square feet and includes a Great Hall, sanctuary, library, guest rooms, and family apartment, among other features.
Elisabeth Stewart / The Daily Princetonian

Princeton Chabad House Renovations: Princeton Chabad, a chapter of the campus outreach movement of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement, was started by Rabbi Eitan Webb and his wife Gitty Webb in 2002 as a way to “explore and experience Judaism” through the study of Jewish texts, holiday celebrations, mentorship, and weekly Shabbat dinners. Princeton’s Chabad community has been housed at 15 Edwards Place since 2007, but the space was over capacity, making set up for Shabbat a “chaotic mess” at times, according to Rabbi Webb. In the spring of 2020, Princeton Chabad bought the adjacent 17 Edwards Place and the two properties were merged. In the meantime, Princeton Chabad temporarily relocated to 128 Nassau Street. The new space is now completed and the organization has already hosted several events there. Chabad will introduce the house to the broader Princeton community at the “Mega Shabbat” on Friday night at 7:45 p.m.

READ THE STORY→

University announces isolation for COVID-19 no longer necessary, warns of illnesses on the rise: On the Friday of spring break, University Health Services (UHS) notified students that the University would no longer require students to isolate for five days after contracting COVID-19. This comes after a recent change in recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Moreover, students are no longer expected to self-report positive tests. Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in 2020, the University has slowly eased restrictions as the health issue posed by COVID-19 has diminished. UHS also alerted students of increased incidence of measles, norovirus, and Mpox, especially after spring break travel. Students should contact UHS if exposed, showing symptoms, or diagnosed with a communicable disease.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Princetonians are divided. Here’s how we can come together.

Post-farmer’s market Firestone Courtyard remains crowded with people socializing.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Hi, I’m Luqmaan Bamba, an Opinion columnist for the ‘Prince.’ I’ve noticed that Princeton students tend to cluster into groups based on shared identities. This anecdotal observation is supported by research showing this is a trend across college campuses in general. In my column, I argue that this phenomenon of students clustering into groups based on shared identities limits cross-identity interaction. I suggest that a combination of formal initiatives and active efforts from the student body will help create a more cohesive and interconnected university community.

— Contributing Columnist Luqmaan Bamba  

READ THE COLUMN →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

SPORTS | March Madness preview: Women’s basketball faces No. 8 West Virginia, No. 1 Iowa awaits

The Tigers celebrate officially clinching a March Madness after their Ivy Madness final win over Columbia last Saturday.
Photo courtesy of @Coach_Berube/X

No.9 Princeton women’s basketball (25–4 overall, 13–1 Ivy League) is back in March Madness, facing No.8 West Virginia Mountaineers (24–7 overall, 12–6 Big 12) in the Albany 2 region. West Virginia offers a different challenge to the Tigers, as the Mountaineers are one of the best defensive teams in the country. While the Tigers also prioritize defense, the two teams implement their defensive focuses with different styles. To win, Princeton will have to contain West Virginia star JJ Quinerly, who’s averaging 19.6 points per game. The Albany 2 region is considered the most competitive of the four regions, and if the Tigers beat the Mountaineers they’ll likely face No.1 Iowa led by all-time NCAA Division I scorer Caitlin Clark. Princeton Head Coach Carla Berube emphasized the importance of focusing on the task at hand despite the distractions of March Madness. “This is a business trip and we need to go in, win basketball games,” Berube said to the ‘Prince.’

READ THE PIECE →

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Adanna Taylor. Illustration by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA