Monday, January 29, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the Head Newsletter Editor. 

Today is the First Day of Classes! Our top three stories are:

‘Life is not always fair, especially for leaders’: former presidents, alumni say Gay resignation was reasonable

The Capitol Building.
Katherine Dailey / The Daily Princetonian

Today’s Briefing:

‘Life is not always fair, especially for leaders’: former presidents, alumni say Gay resignation was appropriate: Following Claudine Gay’s resignation as Harvard University’s president, three Princeton alumni with university administration experience opine that the resignation was justified despite political motivations behind the criticism. The controversy centered around allegations of plagiarism in Gay’s work, including her 1997 Ph.D. dissertation, with parallels drawn to a similar situation involving Princeton professor Kevin Kruse. The incident highlighted broader issues in academia, such as the role of university presidents in maintaining academic integrity and the impact of political motives on higher education, with some critics viewing Gay’s resignation as racially motivated and a result of politically charged attacks.

READ THE STORY→

Free speech group, ADL weigh in on no-contact orders against conservative student journalists: The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE) and the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) addressed a letter to Eisgruber claiming that some community members have leveraged no-contact and no-communication orders (NCOs) to “censor student journalists.” The letter references two orders against writers for the conservative publication The Princeton Tory. As a result, the university has narrowed the circumstances under which these orders can be issued. 

READ THE STORY→ 

OPINION | Response to Eisgruber: Your erasure of Palestinian suffering is not “inclusive.”

The cupola of Nassau Hall at nightfall.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Ellen Li ’24 and fourth-year graduate student Humza Gondal criticize Princeton University President Eisgruber’s State of the University letter for insufficiently responding to the Israel-Palestine conflict, particularly violence in Gaza. Representing pro-Palestinian perspectives, they accuse Eisgruber of ignoring the plight of Palestinians. They end by demanding that the University recognize and condemn Israel’s actions in Gaza.

READ THE PIECE →

At your leisure

SPORTS | This Week in Sports

Tiger’s star sophomore finished with 17 points on 3/13 shooting from the field.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonMBB

Top Games Last Week

Men’s Basketball falls to Cornell, 83-68 

• This was Princeton’s second loss of the season as Cornell staked their claim in the Ivy League race. 
  • The Big Red shot 57.6% from the field, while the Tigers shot a season-low 32.2%.
  • Sophomore guard Xaivian Lee paced the Tigers with 17 points, while Cornell’s Nazir Williams led the way with 20 points.
  • Men’s basketball moves to 3-1 in the Ivy League, with a key matchup against Yale on the horizon. 
Women’s Basketball rolls over Cornell, continues Ivy League dominance 
  • After a quick start carried the Tigers to a 46–19 halftime lead, Princeton coasted to a 85–47 victory over the Big Red. 
  • The Tigers continued to set the pace in the conference, moving to 5–0 in the Ivy League and to a sparkling 15–3 overall record. 
  • Sophomore guard Madison St. Rose led the Tigers with 15 points, while senior star guard Kaitlyn Chen posted a double-double in the win. 
  • The Tigers will carry their undefeated Ivy record into back-to-back matchups with Yale and Brown. 
 Hockey struggles to gain traction on the ice
  • Women’s ice hockey tied in both of their games this week with Brown and No. 15 Yale. Sophomore forwards Emerson O’Leary and Katherine Khramtsov scored the lone two goals for the weekend. 
  • The losing streak was extended to 6 games for men’s ice hockey after back-to-back losses to No. 14 Cornell and Colgate. The team has allowed 32 goals against during the streak, for an average of 5.33 goals against per game. 

Must-see Matchups of the Week 

Friday, February 2nd
  • Women's Basketball vs Yale - 7PM
  • Men's Basketball @ Yale - 7PM
  • Men's Hockey vs Dartmouth - 7PM

Saturday, February 3rd
  • Men's Basketball @ Brown - 6PM
  • Women's Basketball @ Brown - 5PM
  • Women's Ice Hockey vs No. 7 Quinnipiac - 3PM

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Nathan Beck. Illustration by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA