Wednesday, January 17, 2024
Good morning! This is Sunney Gao and Victoria Davies, the associate Newsletter editors. 

Today, we have stories on graduate student involvement in Wintersession, Colonial Club’s move to launch early sign-in, threats received by the College Democrats of New Jersey, the USG Movies Committee’s advance movie screenings, and a reflection on the Pace Center’s legacy of service

Wintersession popularity soars with graduate students, free meals offered to participants

Wintersession is a two-week, conference-style period of noncredit workshops and trips open to all graduate students, undergraduates, staff, postdocs, and faculty.
Annie Rupertus / The Daily Princetonian

Today’s Briefing:

Wintersession popularity soars with graduate students, free meals offered to participants: Wintersession has become increasingly more popular with graduate students, with 1,359 graduate students, or 42 percent of all enrolled graduate students, registering for at least one Wintersession offering. Graduate student registration for Wintersession is up by over 30 percent this year, with significant increases from years prior. There are several reasons for this surge in popularity, such as the Office of Campus Engagement (OCE) partnering with the Graduate Student Government this year to address graduate students’ concerns of being pressured into leading undergraduate-only sessions or not being allowed to join as a participant. Wintersession also allows graduate students to connect with other groups around campus and provides a rare opportunity for graduate students to enjoy free dining hall meals

READ THE STORY→

Colonial launches early sign-in ahead of anticipated largest Street Week ever: With possibly the largest-ever Street Week coming up, given the size of the Class of 2026, Colonial Club has announced early sign-in, which allows sophomores to begin eating at the club when the semester begins. The early sign-in period ends on Feb. 2, overlapping with a few days of Street Week. Colonial Club has additional incentives this year, such as a discount for students who join in groups of six, sophomore leadership opportunities, and the most generous number of weekly meals out of all eating clubs. This move from Colonial comes amid Cloister Inn’s financial troubles, with Cloister seeking over 50 sophomores in a ‘takeover’ to rejuvenate the sign-in club. 

READ THE STORY→

N.J. College Dems caught in controversy over endorsement of Kim for U.S. Senate: Last week, College Democrats of America released endorsements of Representative Andy Kim (D-N.J.-03). This endorsement followed “many phone calls” during which the College Democrats of New Jersey (CDNJ) were offered various incentives to support Kim’s main opponent, Tammy Murphy, before “leveraging threats to CDNJ member’s funding and career prospects.” Nate Howard ’25, vice president of the CDNJ, told the ‘Prince’ that the caller, Keely Magee, was “serving as a liaison and a mouthpiece for the Murphy campaign”; meanwhile, Murphy maintained that “Magee had ‘no connection’ to the Murphy campaign.” Princeton College Democrats’ President, Michelle Miao ’26, told the ‘Prince’ that “she was proud of how Howard and CDNJ handled the situation” and that “she hopes that PCD will be active in this election.”

READ THE STORY →

More from News:

THE PROSPECT | How USG Movies secures early premiers

The Princeton Garden Theatre.
Isabel Kingston / The Daily Princetonian

The USG Movies Committee regularly hosts movie nights for the University. In 2023, this included both weekly garden theater showings like Barbie and Top Gun: Maverick during 2023, as well as an advanced screening of Saltburn “eight days before its limited theater release.” According to USG Movies Committee Chair Tyler Wilson ’26, a PR agency representing Saltburn in Philadelphia “thought that ‘Saltburn,’ a movie about young adults attending Oxford, would be fitting for college students”; the agency then arranged the screening. Wilson explained “by hosting advance screenings, USG is able to encourage students to engage with new, exciting films alongside their peers.” 

READ THE PIECE →

More from Prospect: 

FEATURES | The Pace Center’s mixed legacy of service, throughout the years

Entryway to the office of the John H. Pace Jr. ’39 Center for Civic Engagement in Frist Campus Center.
Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

Since its founding in 2001, the John H. Pace Jr. ’39 Center for Civic Engagement has provided students with opportunities for civic engagement, leadership, and career development. Through the years, the Pace Center has organized various service events and projects aimed to increase the University’s involvement in community service. Pace Center programs like Princeton Internships in Civic Service (PICS) are generally well-received by Princeton students, especially as an alternative to the private sector. Other programs like Community Action, however, have been criticized for not being meaningful enough. 

READ THE FEATURE→

More from Features: 
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA