Monday, February 26, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
Rec Pool opens after delay, welcomes annual cardboard canoe race
The Campus Rec Pool reopened with a cardboard canoe race.
Tyler Duran / The Daily Princetonian

Rec Pool opens after delay: The Campus Recreation Pool at Dillon Gymnasium reopened on Feb. 16 after a 19-month closure and delay due to issues with material shipments, marking progress in the first phase of Campus Recreation’s renovation project which also included opening the Class of 1986 Fitness and Wellness Center. The renovation of the Rec Pool introduced a new filtration system, lighting, tiling, and will soon add elevator access to enhance gym accessibility. The reopening has expanded programming, including the return of the Cardboard Canoe Race, and has adjusted swimming hours and practice times for students and clubs, with the Princeton Club Swim team facing scheduling challenges.

READ THE STORY→

USG allocates funding and approves upcoming Midterms Celebration Trip: The USG Senate at the University approved funding for various student organizations and a midterms celebration trip during its third spring semester meeting. Financial support was allocated to the Princeton Ethiopian and Eritrean Students Association, Taiwanese American Students Association, Center for Jewish Life, Princeton University Wind Ensemble, and E-Club for various events and needs. Additionally, the Senate unanimously approved funding for a trip to Hudson Yards in New York for a midterms celebration, emphasizing the importance of providing opportunities for students to explore and connect outside the university setting.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Princeton should lengthen the semester to reduce burnout

Tyler Duran / The Daily Princetonian

I’m Julianna Lee, a columnist for the ‘Prince.’ As I spend more and more time at Princeton, I continue to notice the burnout that has affected my friends. I have always wondered what it is that causes so many of my peers to make the decision to take time off from school, or why I was left feeling so exhausted at the conclusion of my junior fall. Although there is no single problem or a one-size-fits-all solution, I know that Princeton’s unusually short semesters and tightly packed academic calendar certainly do not help the situation. Reflecting upon both personal experience and research, I argue in this column that Princeton must lengthen its academic semesters to alleviate burnout.

— Columnist Julianna Lee 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

SPORTS | This Week in Sports

Caden Pierce lines up a three-point shot against Dartmouth in Hanover.
Photo courtesy of  @PrincetonMBB/X.

Top Games this Week

Men’s basketball cruises to pair of double-digit road wins over Harvard, Dartmouth

Women’s basketball loses first Ivy game at Columbia

Men’s tennis sweeps weekend at ECAC Championships

• They dominated the quarterfinals against Brown, not losing a single point for a 5–0 victory.
  • After a wire-to-wire 4–3 win against Yale powered by the top and bottom of singles, they earned a matchup with Penn in the title game.
  • In the final, they cruised to a win thanks to wins from Nos. 1–4 singles.

Games this Week

Wednesday, February 28–Saturday, March 2

• Men’s Swim and Dive Ivy Championships @ Harvard

Friday, March 1

• Men’s Basketball vs. Columbia
  • Women’s Basketball vs. Harvard
  • Men’s Lacrosse @ University of North Carolina 
  • Men’s Volleyball vs. George Mason
  • Baseball @ University of North Carolina

Saturday, March 2

• Men’s Basketball vs. Cornell
  • Women’s Basketball vs. Dartmouth
  • Women’s Lacrosse vs. Yale
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Nathan Beck. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA