Friday, February 23, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
‘Unparalleled wit and unyielding reliability’: Remembering James Li ’27
James Li ’27 on the field outside of Princeton High School.
Courtesy of Shira Kutin

Remembering James Li 27: James Li 27, a member of Yeh College and graduate of Princeton High School, tragically passed away on February 16 after an accident involving the Princeton Dinky shuttle. Remembered for his unparalleled wit, reliability, and passion for languages and philosophy, Li was praised by friends, instructors, and peers for his kindness, intelligence, and unique humor. Beyond his academic achievements, Li's love for video games, philosophy, and his ability to imprint upon those around him with his interests and personality were highlighted by those who knew him best.

READ THE STORY→

University pilot this spring will normalize more than one final exam per day: The University has initiated a pilot program allowing students to take up to two final exams each day, addressing concerns over extended exam schedules and the desire for more flexibility before summer breaks. Dean Jill Dolan mentioned that this change, aimed at accommodating students’ requests and improving efficiency, would impact a small percentage of undergraduates, with the broader goal of exploring a shorter final exam period in the future. This move, part of a larger initiative to adjust the final assessment period, also includes policy updates to offer more flexibility in exam scheduling and assessment types, responding to student feedback and the evolving academic environment.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Zero suicides is not just a dream. We can make it reality.

Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

I’m Eleanor Clemans-Cope, and I’m the Prince’s head Opinion editor. I’m also a member of the University community, just like all of you. And together, we are heartbroken, again, at the loss of yet  another student, James Li ’27. We are in the midst of a student mental health crisis. In order to address it, Princeton needs to make massive changes. Recent research and successful programs are increasingly proving the inspiring reality that at a committed, effective organization, suicide is preventable by the institution. This involves a combination of comprehensive suicide prevention and care, safety around lethal means, and collective responsibility for suicide prevention. Achieving zero suicides is not just a possibility but a necessity for Princeton. It’s past time for the University to implement the Zero Suicide Approach on campus.

— Head Opinion Editor Eleanor Clemans-Cope 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PUZZLES: Play the Friday crossword, “No More to Go

FEATURES | ‘We Can Fix Princeton’: Inside TIGER, the University’s new geoexchange facility

The Thermally Integrated Geo-Exchange Resource building located on Broadmead St.
Raphaela Gold/The Daily Princetonian

Princeton is now producing some of its energy without the combustion of natural gases through the Thermally Integrated Geo-Exchange Resource building, or T.I.G.E.R. This facility utilizes a “thermal piggy bank” composed of pipes 70 stories below ground and two thermal energy storage tanks that can hold 4.5 Olympic-sized swimming pools worth of water each to cool buildings in the summer and warm buildings in the winter. The combined geo-exchange systems cost hundreds of millions of dollars, with materials that required the facilities team to look “all over the world and certainly all over the country for the right things and the right skill sets to install them.” While the system is still undergoing installation, many buildings such as New College West and Yeh College, Butler, Princeton Neuroscience Institute, Icahn Laboratory, and Jadwin Gym are already running on the district hot water system

READ THE PIECE →

SPORTS | Staff Picks: Women’s Basketball at Columbia

Senior guard Kaitlyn Chen leads the No. 25 ranked Tigers in scoring with a 16 point-per-game average.
Photo courtesy of  @PrincetonWBB/X.

After overpowering Yale Bulldogs 70–25 last weekend, No. 25 Princeton women’s basketball is riding off the euphoria from their 15th consecutive win. Undefeated in conference play, the Tigers face the Colombia Lions this Saturday. Columbia has been Princeton’s main competition for the Ivy League title in the past two years, with the Lions having only lost one conference game this year. At their third matchup this season, Princeton hopes to get a three-peat win. Ahead of the highly anticipated game, The Daily Princetonian sports’ staff offer their picks for the score and winner.

READ THE PICKS →

PROSPECT | Sexpert: On birth control

The Design Team / The Daily Princetonian

In a recent advice column, the Sexpert addressed concerns from “Puzzled BC-taker,” who questioned whether to continue using birth control pills amid a potential breakup and the societal judgments that might follow. The Sexpert emphasized the multifaceted benefits of oral contraceptives beyond pregnancy prevention, such as treating hormonal imbalances and reducing the risk of certain cancers, urging the reader to prioritize personal health and comfort over societal stigma. Additionally, the Sexpert advised seeking professional guidance to explore all contraceptive options and to make an informed decision that aligns with one’s health and lifestyle needs, reminding readers of the available resources and support systems for sexual health and wellness.

READ THE COLUMN →

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA