Monday, February 19, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
One of two Forbes laundry rooms out of commission following fire
Firefighters leaving Forbes College.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

One of two Forbes laundry rooms out of commission following fire: A dryer fire at Forbes College prompted the evacuation of the main building and has left one of the two laundry rooms out of service. The Princeton Fire Department and other emergency services responded quickly to the incident, with the room’s dryer vent believed to be the cause, according to University Fire Marshall Joe Novak. No injuries were reported, though some students’ clothes were damaged. The affected laundry room will remain closed until further notice, with Forbes Main residents directed to use the Forbes Annex laundry needs.

READ THE STORY→

USG expands budget: The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate approved its largest budget in recent history, totaling $735,862, during its second meeting of the spring semester. The budget increase was attributed to rollover funds from the previous semester. USG officials also discussed efforts to increase student interest in athletics, touting a successful social event at Saturday’s men’s basketball game against Yale. 

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Princetonians should be multilingual: expand PDF option for language study

East Pyne Archway.
Zehao Wu / The Daily Princetonian

This fall, West Virginia University eliminated its foreign language courses wholesale. While such a radical cut is practically unfathomable at Princeton, many students end up studying a foreign language after fulfilling the degree requirement. I can see why: academic calendars are already packed with distribution, major, and certificate or minor requirements, making a second language a considerable further challenge for Princetonians. The University doubtless recognizes the importance of language study, both as an intrinsic good of a liberal arts education and as part of pursuing the ubiquitous goal of being “in the Nation’s Service and the Service of Humanity.” Yet, I argue that, in light of that mission, it should do more to encourage and ease advanced language study by providing a PDF option for students who have fulfilled the University requirement.

— Columnist Aidan Gouley

READ THE COLUMN →

More from Opinion: 

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

SPORTS | This Week in Sports

Despite an early game injury, sophomore forward Caden Pierce returned to the game and scored 11 points to lead the Tigers to victory.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/X.

Top Games Last Week

Men’s Basketball sweeps Brown and Ivy-leading Yale in massive weekend

• Friday night’s game against the Bears saw the Tigers seal the win late in the second half. The Tigers took the win 72–63, coming back from a ten-point deficit by finishing the game on a 22–8 run.
  • On national television in front of over 4,350 fans at Jadwin Gym, Princeton earned its biggest win of the season over Yale, winning 73–62.
  • Sophomore guard Xaivian Lee led the way with 19 points, while Allocco added 18 of his own. However, the most impressive feat for the Tigers was on the defensive end, where they held Yale star forward Danny Wolf to zero points.

No. 25 Women’s basketball handles Brown, demolishes Yale en route to a 15-game win streak

• On Friday night in Providence, the women’s basketball team took down the Brown Bears 74–62. With the win, the Tigers became the first team in the league to clinch a spot in the Ivy Madness tournament.
  • On Saturday night, the Tigers embarrassed the Bulldogs, beating them 70–25. Princeton is now 20–3 overall and 10–0 in Ivy League play, riding a 15 game winning streak, good for the third longest in the country.

Women’s ice hockey ends regular season with 5–1 win over Union and a 3–3 draw with RPI

• Senior forward Sarah Fillier notched a hat-trick in the Friday victory over Union, and followed that performance with two more against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Fillier’s season goal total rises to 25 after a dominant weekend.
  • The Tigers now look ahead to a home  Eastern College Athletic Conference playoff game versus Dartmouth at Hobey Baker Rink, as they begin their quest for a conference title.

Women’s lacrosse opens season with tight loss to No. 16 Virginia, men’s lacrosse dominates Monmouth in 15–5 win

Matchups This Week

February 21–24

• Women’s Ivy League Swimming and Diving Championship @ Brown

Friday, February 23

• Men’s Basketball @ Harvard
  • Men’s Volleyball @ Harvard 
  • Baseball @ UNC Wilmington 
  • Softball @ Charleston Cougar Classic 

Saturday, February 24

• Men’s Basketball @ Dartmouth
  • No. 25 Women’s Basketball @ Columbia 
  • No. 17 Men’s Lacrosse @ No. 7 Maryland 
  • Women’s Lacrosse @ Penn State 
  • Baseball @ UNC Wilmington 
  • Softball @ Charleston Cougar Classic 
  • No. 12 Women’s Ice Hockey ECAC Playoffs vs Dartmouth 

Sunday, February 25

• Baseball @ UNC Wilmington 
  • Softball @ Charleston Cougar Classic 
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Nathan Beck. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA