Monday, February 12, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
In highly-selective year, over 80 percent of sophomores participate in Street Week
Ten of 11 of Princeton's eating clubs are located on Prospect Ave.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Street Week: About 1,200 students participated in Street Week 2024, marking for the highest participation rate in the past decade — though the surge in interest was uneven. Tiger Inn had a 26 percent jump in bickerees and Charter’s selective sign-in system pushed its point cutoff to new heights, while Cap and Gown saw little change in bickerees — with TI lapping Cap in this metric for the first time since 2001 — and interest in Cannon Dial Elm declined. Tower accepted its largest class in at least 25 years, while Cloister was flooded with new admits, though questions remain over whether its yield will be high enough to keep it afloat. The Interclub Council reported that 81 percent of Street Week participants were placed in their first or second choice club, indicating a high level of satisfaction with this year's process.

READ THE STORY→

Pro-Palestinian protestors gather outside Nassau Hall to call for ceasefire: Pro-Palestinian activists demanded a ceasefire in Gaza and urged Princeton University to divest from companies linked to Israel’s military activities on Friday. The rally, attended by around 100 people, connected the Palestinian cause to broader issues of colonialism. The event also saw calls for the University to sever ties with Israeli academic and business entities and to instead align with Palestinian academic and cultural institutions, amid chants and speeches that criticized Princeton’s financial involvement with Israel’s actions.

READ THE STORY→

Theme Dinners celebrate cultural backgrounds of dining hall staffCampus Dining staff at Princeton University served diverse and culturally rich meals during “Theme Dinners” across residential dining halls, featuring cuisines from countries such as Jamaica, Haiti, Guatemala, and Scotland. The dinners, which are held once per semester alongside other special dinners, aim to expose students to new cuisines and create a sense of community and pride among the dining staff and students. 

READ THE STORY→ 

OPINION | Sign-in Clubs shouldn’t pretend to be something they’re not

The outside of Cloister Inn.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

I’m Thomas Buckley, associate Opinion editor for the ‘Prince.’ The dynamics of bicker and our campus’ obsession with competition more broadly have always been fascinating to me. In this column, I wanted to look at how three different eating clubs have dealt with the challenges of maintaining their identities as sign-in clubs. In this column I argue that sign-in clubs should embrace the unique culture that a sign-in identity affords rather than try to be something they aren’t.        

Associate Opinion Editor Thomas Buckley

READ THE COLUMN →

At your leisure

SPORTS | This Week in Sports

The last time the Tigers played in front of a sold-out crowd was in December of 2001 when they hosted basketball powerhouse Kansas.
Ryland Graham / The Daily Princetonian

Top Games this Week

Men’s basketball beats rival Penn in front of sold out crowd at Jadwin Gym

No. 25 Women’s basketball outlasts Penn on the road 67–54

• The fourth quarter was the separation, where the Tigers outscored the Quakers 19–10
  • Kaitlyn Chen and Chet Nweke led the way with 20 and 17, and 10 different Tigers scored in the win
  • Princeton is now a perfect 8–0 in Ivy League play, all wins in double figures

Men’s Squash wins Ivy title 5–4 at Jadwin

• After going down 4–1, the Tigers stormed back and won four straight positions to take the championship
  • Karim Elbarbary won the clincher in five with the match tied at four all to clinch it for Princeton
  • This is Princeton’s first men’s squash Ivy title since 2013

Men’s, Women’s Fencing win share of Ivy championship

• The men’s team was 3–1, with a sole loss to Harvard, and shared the title with Columbia and Harvard
  • The women’s team finished 5–1 just falling to Penn, and tied with Columbia and Penn
  • The two teams finished with 11 all-Ivy honorees, all of whom finished well above .500 for the tournament

Matchups of the Week

February 16–18

• Men’s Tennis ECAC Championship @ Harvard

Friday, February 16

• Men’s Hockey vs. RPI
  • Men’s Basketball vs. Brown
  • Women’s Basketball @ Brown

Saturday, February 17

• Men’s Basketball vs. Yale
  • Women’s Basketball @ Yale
  • Men’s Lacrosse @ Monmouth
  • Women’s Lacrosse @ Virginia

PROSPECT | Hélène Grimaud debuts at Princeton University Concerts

Helen Grimaud playing at in Richardson Auditorium
Chloe Lau / The Daily Princetonian

Hélène Grimaud's debut at the Princeton University Concert series featured a program of Beethoven, Brahms, and Bach (arranged by Busoni), where her unique interpretative style brought a fresh sparkle to these classical compositions. Grimaud's performance was marked by her nuanced use of timing, dynamics, and pedal, particularly in Brahms’ Intermezzi and Fantasies, where she showcased her ability to convey deep emotion and fluid narrative. The concert concluded with a masterful rendition of Bach's Chaconne (arranged by Busoni), followed by encores of Rachmaninoff and Silvestrov, demonstrating Grimaud's dynamic range and expressive depth.

READ THE PIECE→ 

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Nathan Beck. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA