Wednesday, April 3, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:

Dillon Gym revokes self-swipe entry amid building expansion

Dillion Gym under construction.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Dillon Gym patrons can no longer self-swipe in: In March, a new policy was implemented into Dillon Gym, requiring front desk staff to swipe student IDs on a scanner behind the desk. Oliwia Morska ’24, who works as a student building supervisor at Dillon, explained that the change came about due to “safety and security reasons.” However, other staff are not convinced by the policy change. Another Dillon employee, Carolina Pavlik ’26, told the ‘Prince’ that she heard complaints from gym patrons who found the new system to be “annoying.” Morska tied the change to Dillon’s ongoing expansion, explaining that “next fall there will be a brand new lobby with an increasing amount of staff-patron interaction.”

READ THE STORY→

Princeton Trustees adopt 2024–25 budget, increasing financial aid: On Friday, March 29, the University’s Board of Trustees adopted an increased operating budget for the upcoming academic year. The budget increased from $2.92 billion in 2023–24 to $3.1 billion for the 2024-25 academic year, a rise of roughly 6.2 percent. This follows the University’s new goals to enroll an undergraduate student population consisting of at least 70 percent of students on need-based financial aid and 22 percent receiving Pell Grants. Both undergraduate and graduate student financial aid is set to increase, with the estimated net cost after aid for undergraduates expected to be approximately $13,000 \for the 2024–25 academic year.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Hitch yourself to service, not just a man

Sunset over Lockhart Hall.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Hitch yourself to service, not just a man: To hear from a woman who was once in my same position — aged 20, attending an elite university, searching for love — that the way to achieve happiness was to scout out a wealthy, older man was a wake-up call. According to a recent viral essay in The Cut, I’m wasting my time on my JP when I should be using my youth to achieve permanent luxury — sorry, professor! But this is extremely selfish and unconscionable advice to give to elite women writ large. In my column this week, I argue that when women in positions of privilege and power consider the contentment of womankind, we should strive to make choices that uplift us collectively, not maximize our happiness at the expense of the oppression of others. 

- Public Editor Abigail Rabieh 

READ THE STORY→

At your leisure

FEATURES | Q&A with Professor Meredith Martin of The Center for Digital Humanities on a humanistic approach to technology

Meredith Martin, Associate Professor of English, is the Director of the Center for Digital Humanities at Princeton.
Photo courtesy of Meredith Martin
Q&A with Professor Meredith Martin on approaching technology from a humanistic perspective: Faculty Director for the Center for Digital Humanities (CDH), Meredith Martin, sat down with the ‘Prince’ to discuss the approach that Princeton has towards digital technologies from a humanistic perspective. Martin explained that the definition of digital humanities depends “on the landscape of the research computing, the university library,” or other resources available to a university. She said “a humanistic approach to data science will help people understand the power structures” that are fundamental to life. This approach requires critical thinking, according to Martin, including “close reading, context, critical thinking, and creatively and effectively communicating.”

READ THE STORY→

SPORTS | ‘It’s ’bout time’: Princeton fencing shines in the NCAA and beyond

Senior Tristan Szapary raises his arms in celebration after securing the NCAA individual championship in épée.
Photo courtesy of @TigerFencing/X

‘It's ’bout time’: Princeton fencing shines in the NCAA and beyond: As the collegiate season of the NCAA Fencing Championship draws to a close, Princeton Fencing concludes with an NCAA Champion, NCAA Semifinalist, six All-American honors, and two Olympic qualifiers. Tristan Szapary ’24 beat out Notre Dame’s Jonathan Hamilton-Meikle in the NCAA final to become Princeton men’s ninth fencer to win an NCAA individual championship. Meanwhile, Ryan Jenkins ’24 won 18 of her 23 pool bouts to advance to the semifinal women's NCAA Championship, where she lost out on the final against St. John’s Julia Cieslar. Both Tatiana Nazlymov ’27 and Hadley Husisian ’26 qualified for the 2024 Team USA Paris Olympics in the individual and women’s team events, a “testament to not only the resiliency of the team but also the individual strengths of our team members,” described fellow fencer Ryan Lee ’25.

READ THE PIECE→

THE PROSPECT | Child’s Play review: A night of non-stop laughs

Childs Play Improv presented their show “Can’t Get Mono.
Mackenzie Hollingsworth / The Daily Princetonian

Child’s Play review: A night of non-stop laughs: The improv group Child’s Play “exceeded” Prospect writer Mackenzie Hollingsworth’s expectations, delivering a hilarious and humorous experience. The show, “Child’s Play: Can’t Get Mono” was born from a hospital stay by Alistair Wright ’27 at the start of the semester. The improv group is composed of Branson Byers GS, Ourania Glezakou-Elbert ’27, Gabriel Higbee ’26, Samara Samad ’25, Maggie Rea ’26, and Wright, who “are all friends both in and out of the club,” according to Higbee. The show alternated between games, taking suggestions from the audience and creating a fresh improv experience for each performance. 

READ THE PIECE →

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Bryan Zhang. Illustration by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA