Friday February 2, 2024
Good morning! This is Sunney Gao, associate Newsletter editor.

Our top three stories this morning:

Narcan, fentanyl test strips now available through UHS

A Public Safety truck parked in front of McCosh Health Center
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Today’s Briefing:

Narcan, fentanyl test strips now available through UHS: 

Content Warning: The following article includes mention of student death. 

McCosh Health Center has begun stocking fentanyl test strips and Narcan, an opioid overdose reversal drug, both of which can be picked up 24-7 from the McCosh Health Center vestibule. Students can also sign up online to receive these items through their Frist mailbox, or schedule workshops to learn how to use Narcan and fentanyl strips by contacting University Health Services or Kathy Wagner, the associate director of Health Promotion and Prevention Services at Princeton. This policy comes amid the nationwide opioid epidemic, whose effect touched the Princeton community following the tragic passing of graduate student Maura Coursey in January 2023. Nationwide, fentanyl is now the leading cause of death for Americans ages 18–45.

READ THE STORY→

Princeton Quantum Initiative unveils plans for new building: On Dec. 15, 2023, Princeton’s Board of Trustees submitted building plans to the Princeton Town Council’s planning board for a new Quantum Institute for Quantum Science and Engineering. The building is the latest in a series of steps planned by the University for research and expansion of the sciences,and its additional emphasis on sustainable design. The institute will replace the Strubing and Clarke fields, where the Princeton baseball team practices and hosts home games. The new facility adds to a laundry list of construction projects on campus, including Dillon Gym renovations, reconstruction of the Art Museum, and construction of Hobson College.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Revive the creative writing program’s application process

New South is a hub for many of Princeton’s writing seminars.

Princeton’s Creative Writing (CWR) program has long been a favorite among University’s students, with hundreds of students competing to snatch one of the scarce spots available. As recently as just two years ago, however, students had to apply to the CWR program with a writing sample. In this column, contributing columnist Sarah Park makes the case for reinstating the CWR program’s application system, arguing that the move would “build diverse classes of students dedicated to contributing to their CWR class.” Park contends that in the status quo, many students simply take CWR courses as easy fifth classes or for the LA requirement, without a genuine passion or curiosity for creative writing. Park also acknowledges that while both systems have flaws, problems that emerge from an application-based system are solvable.

READ THE COLUMN →

At your leisure

• PODCAST | Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PUZZLE | Friday Puzzle “Bug Out”

FEATURES | 100 YEARS AGO: ‘Bicker Week Denounced’

Graphic by Vitus Larrieu / The Daily Princetonian

The Daily Princetonian is introducing “This Week in History.” This section will highlight an article from the ‘Prince’s archives that brings to light shocking, exciting, or interesting topics from this week in history. This week's article will address the intense conversations surrounding Bicker a century ago and how they compare to Bicker discourse today. On Jan. 30, 1924, an anonymous writer wrote: 

“The first of January is past, mid-years are not very far away, and after them will come around again in all its pristine ugliness, the most amazing, the most uncalled-for, the most undignified, the most degrading, the most immoral Bicker Week.”

Going forward, “This Week in History” will be an exclusive feature of the ‘Prince’s print edition. Find a print issue around campus or look for The Daily Princetonian boxes!

READ THE PIECE →

SPORTS | Staff Picks: Men’s basketball at Yale

The last time Princeton played Yale was during the 2023 Ivy Madness Final, when the Tigers beat the Bulldogs to advance to the NCAA tournament.
Picture courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/X.

Men’s Basketball squares off against currently undefeated Yale today at 7 p.m. MBB is coming off of the first loss of the season against the Cornell Big Red, with Princeton now sitting third on the Ivy League rankings. The last time the Tigers and Bulldogs faced off was the 2023 Ivy Madness Final in which Tigers came out victorious, later advancing to the NCAA March Madness Tournament. 

Importantly, the Tigers are missing some of last year’s vital players, including former Ivy League Player of the Year Tosan Evbuomwan ’23, Northwestern transfer Ryan Langborg ’23, and​​ Florida Gulf Coast University transfer Keeshawn Kellman ’23. With Yale also having lost a player of their own, the odds for this game remain a tossup. 

Associate Sports editor Hayk Yengibaryan ’26, assistant Sports editor Harrison Blank ’26, staff Sports writer JP Ohl ’26, and staff Sports writer Joseph Uglialoro ’27 offered their picks for this weekend’s contest with some disagreement on which school would win. 

READ THE PIECE→

No. 16 men’s volleyball triumphant in home opener: The No. 16 Princeton men’s volleyball team dominated in their home opener against the No.12 UC Santa Barbara Gauchos, winning three sets to one (25–18, 24–26, 25–16, 25–21). The Tigers are now 1–0 at home and 4–3 at away matches, losing two consecutive matches to the No. 8 Brigham Young University Bulldogs. According to senior outside hitter Ben Harrington, new faces to the program have had increasingly significant roles in games this year due to injuries. The team now seeks to continue building team chemistry amid a period of much change in the lineup. The season continues on Friday, Feb. 2, when the Tigers play No. 10 Pepperdine at home in Dillon Gymnasium.

READ THE PIECE→

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Bryan Zhang. Illustration by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA