Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Top three stories for this morning:

Students talk medical dietary needs, allergy accessibility at roundtable

Roma dining hall.
Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

Today’s Briefing:

Princeton Food Allergy and Celiac Team for University Advocacy and Living discusses food inclusivity: On Monday, the Princeton Food Allergy and Celiac Team for University Advocacy and Living (FACTUAL) hosted a discussion on medical dietary needs on campus. Emphasis was placed on access to “safe and healthy foods for people with allergies” in dining halls on campus. Ana Villada ’24 told the ‘Prince’ that, due to her anaphylactic allergy to seafood, she has to “refrain from eating other foods due to potential cross-contact.” She explained that this is a problem with the use of ladles in salad dressing stations and using the same utensil to serve both chicken and fish. Vincent Sanfedele ’27 talked about the “impact of the repetitiveness of menu options.” He explained “it is not necessarily a problem, but it would be nice to always have options.”

READ THE STORY→

McCosh handles typical winter illness spike in light of expansion: With the return of students to campus, UHS’s volume generally increases by around 70 percent from January to February, according to Dr. Marks, Director of Medical Services at UHS. Dr. Marks added that “the most common health concerns that students present [immediately] upon return from break are sexually transmitted infections,” as well as mid-winter respiratory illnesses, such as respiratory syncytial virus, COVID-19, and the flu. Kajal Schiller ’25 spent two nights in the infirmary after testing positive on a flu test. She told the ‘Prince’ that “she wishes UHS could improve on its process of prescribing antibiotics to students.” 

READ THE STORY→

FEATURES | Reunions & unions: Love in the Orange Bubble

University Chapel at sunset.
Timothy Park / The Daily Princetonian
Ahead of Valentines Day, the ‘Prince’ spoke with four couples who found love on campus. For Shelby Brainard ’22 and Katherine Brainard ’19, the University Chapel is the place where Shelby would play the organ while Katherine studied, where Shelby proposed, and where they married. Haley Choueiri ’25 and Reema Choueiri ’25 met through a mutual friend before their more than seven-hour-long first date. Two years later, they are married. The couple currently lives in married housing on campus and posts details about married life while in college on Instagram. The four couples suggested that the 50–75 percent of Princetonians supposedly marrying Princetonians may be a high percentage, but Mark Hoffman ’93 noted “there seemed to be a lot more people [at his 30th Reunion] who had married other Princetonians than at the time.”

READ THE FEATURE→

At your leisure

SPORTS | This week in Princeton Athletics, inside and outside of the orange bubble

After earning a 10-day contract with the Grizzlies, Tosan Evbuomwan ‘23 has featured in two games thus far with the team.
Picture courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/X
This week, Princeton athletes climbed the rankings and had action in the major leagues. Tosan Evbuomwan ’23 played his first two games with the Memphis Grizzlies. He played 16 minutes in the first game against the Golden State Warriors and 29 in the second against the Boston Celtics. Ashleigh Johnson ’17 and Jovana Sekulic ’26 are currently in Doha, Qatar, for the 2024 Aquatics World Championships. The USA Women’s Water Polo Team is the current Olympic champion and welcomes back old and new faces in the water in Doha. Look forward to wrestling on Friday at 7 p.m., men’s basketball on Saturday evening, women’s ice hockey’s two games this weekend, and both squash teams playing against Penn on Saturday.

READ THE ROUNDUP→
THE PROSPECT | The stunning range of Triple 8’s “Montage”
Triple 8 Dancers during their Feb. 2 performance of “Montage.”
Emma Cinocca / The Daily Princetonian
From Feb. 1 to 3, Triple 8 performed its 2024 show, entitled “Montage,” in Frist Theatre. In her piece, Staff Writer for The Prospect Emma Cinocca describes the performance as a “beautiful collection of choreographic, costuming, and musical choices” that was “as exciting and fresh as it was elegant and poised.” She attributes the show’s success to the diversity of its numbers and energy of its performers, noting that as she left, she “couldn’t help but wish for the opportunity to watch it all over again.”

READ THE REVIEW→
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Bryan Zhang. Illustration by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA