Thursday, February 29, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor.

Our top three stories this morning:
Congressman Derek Kilmer ’96 talks impending retirement from politics, teaching at Princeton
Congressman Derek Kilmer '98 speaking at an event.
Sharon Farmer / CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Congressman Derek Kilmer ’96 talks impending retirement from politics, teaching at Princeton: Congressman Derek Kilmer (D-WA) ’96 is one of four Princeton alumni Congressmen who is stepping down at the end of this term. Kilmer joins Reps. Sarbanes, Buck, and Gallager who have all announced that they are leaving Congress after the 2024 election, leaving just three Princeton alumni in Congress. Kilmer is currently teaching a School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA) Junior Task Force entitled “Fixing the People’s House: Policy Reforms to Restore the U.S. House.” He told the ‘Prince’ that he thinks “institutional stewardship is really important,” and explained that he is teaching the class to help people understand how to make Congress work better. He added that some of his work in Congress has been a direct result of his time at Princeton as an undergraduate, and he hopes to continue the progress he made in the next “chapter” of his life.

READ THE STORY→

With 2026 World Cup Final to be held in NJ, Princeton Soccer legends reflect on past success: In 2026, the final of the FIFA World Cup will be held at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. The game will take place on July 19 of that year. The 2022 World Cup final was watched by 1.5 billion people across the world according to FIFA. Palmer Stadium has held training camps for U.S. teams in the past, including pre-tournament sessions for the 2010 men’s World Cup. Jim Barlow ’91, the head coach of Princeton’s men’s soccer team, recalled these sessions, saying “it was a terrific experience.” Jesse Marsch ’96 recalled the last time the Cup was in the area in 1994, “What that brought for the overall soccer community in the U.S. was amazing.” Marsch has coached a number of prominent soccer teams, and some media outlets speculated that he may become the Head Coach for the U.S. men’s national team for the 2026 World Cup.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Change the nature of the presidency, not Eisgruber

Nassau Hall.
Dharmil Bhavsar / The Daily Princetonian

I’m Wynne Conger, an Associate Opinion Editor of the ‘Prince’, and increasingly, I’ve come to notice a discrepancy between Eisgruber’s ability to act as a proxy of the University. As the President and figurehead of Princeton, Eisgruber is an impeccable leader. However, due to his meticulously structured dialogue and formulaic discussion, he remains an insufficient representative of the students more generally. Eisgruber needs to engage more in the collective discourse within the University to more effectively represent the student body.

— Associate Opinion Editor Wynne Conger 

READ THE COLUMN→

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

FEATURES | A Palestinian prime minister, at home in Princeton

Salam Fayyad in his office.
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

A Palestinian prime minister, at home in Princeton: Salam Fayyad is the previous prime minister of the Palestinian Authority, now working as a visiting senior scholar in the School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA). As prime minister, he pursued a reformist agenda for improved security, strengthened economy, and reduced corruption. His government was called “the best Palestinian peace partner Israel and the U.S. ever had” by New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. Now, Fayyad has immersed himself into the routine of Princeton life, and said that he likes Princeton due to its “self-running character.” In an interview with the ‘Prince,’ he remained focused on student-centered campus conversations, civility, and institutional neutrality. Like many of his colleagues, Fayyad has been reluctant to directly engage in issues of pro-Palestinian activism on campus, explaining that a “strategic, longer term conversation” is more worthwhile.

READ THE PIECE→

SPORTS | 25 titles: Men’s track and field and women’s swim and dive dominate at Ivy League Championships

Men's track and field won their ninth straight Ivy League Heptagonal Indoor title in Cambridge, Massachusetts last weekend.
Photo courtesy of goprincetontigers.com

25 titles: Men’s track and field and women’s swim and dive dominate at Ivy League Championships: This past weekend, men’s track and field and women’s swim and dive competed in the Ivy League championships for their respective sports. Both teams saw records broken and medals won, and each coincidentally claimed their 25th Ivy League titles. Women’s swim and dive saw an Ivy meet record in the 200-yard freestyle relay of 1:29.03 and first-year Dakota Tucker being named the High Point Swimmer of the Meet. Meanwhile, men’s track and field claimed their 25th Ivy League Indoor Heptagonal Indoor Track and Field title, finishing with 168 total points, 53 points ahead of second-place Cornell. The Tigers swept the podium in the 200-meter finals with Jackson Clarke ’27, Zach Della Rocca ’27, and Joey Gant ’26 taking first, second, and third respectively. Junior Nicholas Bendsten won both the 3000-meter and 5000-meter races, with an Ivy League record of 7:54.81 in the 3000-meter.

READ THE PIECE→

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Adanna Taylor. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA