Thursday, February 22, 2024
Good morning! This is Sunney Gao, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
Divest Princeton rebrands to ‘Sunrise Princeton’ following University's divestment
At the launch event, members of Sunrise Princeton painted signs for future climate action protests.
Elisabeth Stewart / The Daily Princetonian

From Divest Princeton to Sunrise Princeton: This Saturday, campus climate activism group Divest Princeton transitioned to Sunrise Princeton, joining a national movement and political action group aimed to combat the climate crisis. Since 2019, Divest Princeton has led climate activism on campus, targeting divestment of Princeton’s endowment from fossil fuels. As of May 2022, the University had $1.7 billion of its endowment in fossil fuel companies, with $1 billion in public companies. In Fall 2022, however, the University announced that it would fully divest from all publicly owned fossil fuel companies. As such, student activists have seen a need for a “new kind of organizing on campus,” co-coordinator Eleanor Clemans-Cope ’26 told the ‘Prince’. Sunrise Princeton will now shift gears, having started discussions with community partners to address decarbonization concerns. “We recognized that it was time for us to move out of just the financial space and also the reinvestment space, into what Princeton can do for its community,” stated Clemans-Cope.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Letter to the Editor: Faculty on unionization at Labyrinth Books

Labyrinth Books, the University-affiliated bookstore on Nassau St.
Julian Gottfried / The Daily Princetonian

In a letter to the editor, Princeton professors on the faculty advisory committee for Labyrinth Books address recent criticism of Labyrinth’s management from employees. The professors argue that while they support Labyrinth employees’ unionization effort and Labyrinth management’s recognition of the union, claims criticizing the store’s management for diminishing workers’ negotiation power are misguided. They counter the argument that the store is deliberately reducing the number of staff eligible to engage in collective bargaining, noting consistent staffing levels. Based on such evidence, the professors state that they “have every reason to believe that the management of the store is prepared to work hard to arrive at a fair agreement.”

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to today’s Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

DATA | Spring 2024 Networking Career Fair sees increase in non-profit opportunities

Center for Career Development.
Rohit Narayanan / The Daily Princetonian
The Spring 2024 Networking Career Fair will be held at Dillon Gym this Friday, Feb. 23, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. 99 employers are expected to attend, seeking students of all school years for internships and post-grad jobs. The Daily Princetonian Data team analyzed industry representation at the fair, finding that the “Non-Profit—Other” industry will be most represented with 10 employers. This contrasts with representation during the fall career fair, when most companies were in the “Investment/Portfolio Management” industry. This spring, most employers also fall into the “Engineering, Health, Science & Technology” sector. To prepare for the fair, students are encouraged to participate in a First Timer Career Fair Tour set up by the Center for Career Development on the morning of the fair.

READ THE ARTICLE→

SPORTS | Xaivian Lee has a P-set to do

Xaivian Lee '26 posing with fans after a game.
Photo courtesy of Princeton Athletics on X/Twitter
Xaivian Lee ’26 is a rising star in the college basketball scene, averaging 18 points per game with an offensive rating of 120.6 which puts him third in the country. In the Ivy League, Lee has averaged 19.6 points per game, placing him at the top of the conference. The ‘Prince’ interviewed Lee, discussing his underdog story: from an “under the radar” recruit to an NBA prospect. Lee also talked about changes, or the lack thereof, in his life due to his newfound fame, as well as the balance between basketball and academics. “The world doesnt stop because we’re playing basketball, everyone has schoolwork. Obviously, on a regular day where you have a game, I’m gonna have to do some work.”

READ THE PIECE→
More From Sports:
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by
Adanna Taylor. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA