Thursday, February 15, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
In lieu of taxes, University increases voluntarily contribution for second year
Buildings on Hulfish Street.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Today's briefing:

In lieu of taxes, University increases voluntarily contribution for second year:
 On Jan. 30, the University announced its plan to donate more than $50 million over five years for municipal projects and programs. This includes $10.8 million to local agencies and lower and middle-income residents, such as a scholarship fund for low-income students graduating from Princeton High School, and various housing-affordability programs. The Mayor of Princeton, Mark Freda, said of the University, “What are you really costing us? And are you doing enough to offset that cost? So that’s the continual back and forth. And I think we’re in a pretty good place on that right now.”

READ THE STORY→

U. administrators donations heavily favor Kim over Menendez, Murphy in upcoming primary: The ‘Prince’ reviewed public Federal Election Commission filings to understand which candidates in the N.J. Senate race receive contributions from notable Princeton figures. Incumbent Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) has been charged with corruption and taking bribes. Tammy Murphy, wife of current N.J. Gov. Phil Murphy, is running for Senator. Her campaign garnered attention on Princeton's campus when threats were made against Nate Howard ’25, the vice president of the College Democrats of New Jersey (CDNJ). Notably, Murphy has not received any donations from Princeton employees. Andy Kim (D-N.J.), however, received 22 contributions from Princeton employees in 2022, totaling $19,680.

READ THE STORY→

At your leisure

DATA | Add/Drop period just ended. We looked at the numbers.

Tiered seats in a McCosh lecture hall.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
The ‘Prince’ examined the enrollment trends of large classes during the add/drop period. On average, large classes of at least 30 students lost five percent of enrolled students during the add/drop period. Six classes saw enrollment drop by more than 35 percent, including HIS 212: Europe in the World: From 1776 to the Present Day, which had an initial enrollment of 47 and currently has 14. The largest class this semester is POL 396: International Organizations with an enrollment of 420 students. Some classes grew, but none by more than 25 percent. POL 240: International Relations saw an enrollment increase of 21 percent.

READ THE ARTICLE→

SPORTS | A recap of Princeton athletics’ ups and downs across busy weekend

Princeton women's tennis made the podium in third place at the ECAC Championships this past weekend.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonTennis/X 
Last weekend, Princeton women's tennis competed in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) championship. After a (2–4) win against Cornell on Friday, the team faced trouble against Yale in the semi-final round of the ECAC. The Tigers ended up making the podium, bringing home 3rd place. Men's wrestling struggled against Cornell and Binghamton, losing 26–12 on Saturday against Binghamton and 35-5 to Cornell on Friday. Mikey Squires ’25 put up a valiant fight on Friday, walking away with a 5–1 triumph over Cornell's Evan Canoyer. Men's ice hockey saw a win against the St. Lawrence Saints on Saturday, with Adam Robbins ’24 scoring his third overtime game-winner this season. Women's golf opened their season with two of their six golfers unable to play due to injury. Each Tiger played 54 holes across the three days, with the team finishing 15th out of 16 teams with a score of 937 (+73).

READ THE PIECE→
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by
Adanna Taylor. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA