Wednesday, February 14, 2024
Good morning and Happy Valentine's Day! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
Labyrinth union holds demonstration as disagreements with management persist
Pro-union demonstrators gathered in Labyrinth Books the morning of Feb. 13.
Annie Rupertus / The Daily Princetonian

Labyrinth union holds demonstration as disagreements with management persist: Following earlier unionization efforts, the employees of Labyrinth “call[ed] on management” to reduce staff turnover and tension in the workplace. Yesterday, employees read aloud from a letter which “addressed what [employee] Rebecca Ziemann [...] called a ‘real staffing crisis.’” The letter also alleged that Labyrinth management has been “intentionally understaffing the store” and “shrink[ing] the bargaining unit” with the help of a “union-busting attorney.” Labyrinth owner Dorothea von Moltke wrote to the ‘Prince’ that they “voluntarily recognized the union and have never engaged in union-busting activities.”

READ THE STORY→

Race for Princeton Council taking shape as candidates look towards Princeton’s future: Two Princeton Council seats are expected to be open in the 2024 election season. Both races are currently uncontested. Brian McDonald ’83 has announced that he will be running to replace Councilmember Eve Niedergang GS ’85, and Councilmember Leighton Newlin has announced that he will “seek reelection for a second term.” McDonald said in an interview with the ‘Prince’ that he “thinks [he is] well-suited to work with the council members.” Both Newlin and McDonald discussed plans for sustainable growth of the town. Newlin told the ‘Prince’ that he is re-running because “the job is not done.” He emphasized the creation of affordable housing in Princeton, and “creating an infrastructure that’s heavy on the social infrastructure.”

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Get Princetonians back to innovation, not exploitation

Elaine Cook, left, and Colin Cook, cofounders of Retinox Medical.
Benjamin Ball / The Daily Princetonian
Nearly every day, listserv emails about entrepreneurship fill our inboxes — how to secure startup funding, how to become a venture capitalist, how to enter pitch competitions. I’ve always found these emails kind of annoying because much of the entrepreneurship that Princetonians engage in is so trivial. In the face of the climate crisis, ecological breakdown, and escalating inequality, our generation faces a dire need for hard and often physical innovation, but so many Princeton and Princetonian-funded startups focus on presenting old commodities to consumers in new ways so that they’ll pay more for only marginal gain. We’re wringing out the dregs of profit by making broken systems run a little more smoothly. But the world desperately needs real innovation that tackles our biggest problems systemically, and Princeton can and must rise to the challenge.

— Head Opinion Editor Eleanor Clemans-Cope 

More from Opinion:

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to today’s Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.

SPORTS | ‘A special place at a special time’: Inside Princeton baseball’s analytics revolution

Princeton’s Baseball Analytics Club uses cutting-edge technology and statistical analysis to help Princeton’s varsity baseball team.
Courtesy of Princeton's Council on Science and Technology
The ‘Prince’ sat down with members of the Princeton Baseball Analytics Club to discuss how students have worked with pitching coach Joe Haumacher to revitalize the team’s approach to pitching. Haumacher was hired prior to the 2023 season, when “the program was in dire straits.” His hiring has allowed the baseball team to ride the wave of analytics revolutionizing baseball across the major leagues. Haumacher’s approach is to find out “what’s going on, [see] what it means, then innovate from there.” This process involved the creation of an analytics team, which includes Adam Maloof, a professor in Princeton’s geosciences department, Senne Michielssen ’25, Alex Dreger ’25, and other students. The team then had to gather data using Trackman, “a powerful system that uses Doppler radar to track the flight of a ball.” This data is analyzed and discussed with players to “make the players as best as they can be,” according to Michielssen. Haumacher explained “the payoff hasn’t quite been realized yet [...] but I think it’s coming.”

READ THE PIECE→

THE PROSPECT | Five places to eat with your date on Valentine’s Day

Dining options in Princeton.
Russell Fan / The Daily Princetonian
Happy Valentine’s Day! The ‘Prince’ has identified five dining destinations in Princeton where you should take your date this holiday. To start the list, diversify your “coffee shop repertoire” with Maman, a café which offers a “stunning array of pastries, sandwiches, and other breakfast-inspired treats.” To continue the debate on Princeton’s best ice cream, try the alternative to Bent Spoon and Thomas Sweet: Halo Pub. Teresa Caffe is an “Italian sit-down restaurant that serves simple, but fulfilling meals,” with a vibe which can be categorized as “an intermediary between casual and formal.” Parisian-style cafe Chez Alice Patisserie is a “splendid option to enjoy some exquisite sweet and comforting beverages,” while Say Cheez Café is known for their “diverse array of grilled sandwiches.”

READ THE PIECE→
More from The Prospect:
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by
Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA