Tuesday, February 13, 2024
by Sunney Gao
Good morning! This is Sunney Gao, an associate Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
Asian affinity groups gather to celebrate Lunar New Year
Front entrance of the Princeton Garden Theatre. Seven Southeast Asian student groups hosted a Lunar New Year celebration in the Carl A. Fields Center on Thursday, Feb. 8.
Courtesy of Brandon Le

Asian affinity groups gather to celebrate Lunar New Year: On Feb. 8, seven Asian affinity groups, spearheaded by the Vietnamese Student Association (VSA), hosted a joint Lunar New Year celebration at the Carl A. Fields Center. The Asian American, Chinese, Taiwanese, Malaysian and Singaporean, Japanese, and Filipino student organizations also took part, contributing foods from their respective cultures. Sabrina Van ’26, president of VSA, told the ‘Prince’ that she and VSA social chair Mason Thieu ’25 traveled to Philadelphia to buy bánh tét from a Vietnamese temple for the event. The event also featured a traditional lion dance performance by the Rutgers University–New Brunswick VSA, red lantern decorations, and a live DJ from VSA playing Asian pop songs. The groups hope to continue celebrating Lunar New Year jointly for years to come. 

READ THE STORY→

USG approves fall budget in first meeting of Attar’s term: Princeton’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) met for its first meeting of the spring semester on Feb. 11 to discuss budget plans, committee member assignments, and funding allocation for student groups. Following a ten-minute President’s Report by USG President Avi Attar ’25, new USG members were introduced and meeting items were introduced. A major discussion point was budget allocation following a USG budget increase from $585,755 last semester to $656,047.21 this semester. The budget review ended in a unanimous initial vote, with the second, official vote this upcoming Sunday. Attar also voiced his eagerness to expand partnerships, especially in bolstering student support for athletic events and bridging the gap between athletes and non-athletes. In the coming week, the USG is sponsoring a trip to see a play in Trenton on Friday and will host an event to coincide with this Saturday’s Men’s Basketball home game against Yale. Attar closed with plans to assign committee members to working groups based on interests.

READ THE STORY→

Princeton Mayor seeks reelection, expresses worry over campus expansion: Mark Freda, the mayor of Princeton, announced his intention to run for reelection on Jan. 19. Freda has served as mayor since Jan. 4, 2021. Currently, no other individuals have announced any intention to run against Freda in this election. The primary election will be on June 4, 2024, with the general election happening in November. In an interview with The Daily Princetonian, Freda shared that the relationship between the University and the town has strengthened over the past years due to the open line of communication and cooperation between the two. Freda also spoke on the construction projects on the south side of campus, hoping that future University projects will be planned with the town’s interests in mind. “If they’re on campus all the time, it’s not a great experience. You want to get off campus, you want to see what is available in the community that surrounds the campus for the students to get involved in,” Freda said.

READ THE STORY→ 

OPINION | Letter to the Editor: ‘Prince’ reporting fails to capture full SJP protest

Students protest outside Nassau Hall.
Ammaar Alam / The Daily Princetonian

Guest Contributor Ellen Li ’24, in a Letter to the Editor, criticizes the ‘Prince’ article entitled “Pro-Palestinian protestors gather outside Nassau Hall to call for ceasefire.” She asserts that “the ‘Prince’ has a duty to provide comprehensive coverage of Palestine solidarity activism on campus,” and that it “must avoid omissions of pro-Palestinian voices that produce a harmful, distorted narrative.” Li argues that by excluding context she provided to the ‘Prince’ on Israel’s military assault on Gaza and instead describing Israel’s genocide in Gaza vaguely as “military activity” or a “military campaign,” the piece perpetuates the erasure of Palestinian suffering. Li also contends that the piece failed to acknowledge her response to Ari Powell — who shouted at the protestors during the rally — and therefore legitimized his dialogue. Li calls for the ‘Prince’ to improve in their coverage of the Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) emergency die-in for Rafah today at Firestone Plaza and other actions by SJP in the future.

READ THE COLUMN →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PUZZLE: Week of 2/11 Minis

PROSPECT | “American Fiction” USG Movies review: humor from the harsh reality 

Front entrance of the Princeton Garden Theatre.
Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

Cord Jefferson’s comedy/drama “American Fiction,” which premiered in September 2023, was USG Movies’ latest free weekly movie pick at the Princeton Garden Theatre. The movie follows Thelonious “Monk” Ellison, a Black author and professor who becomes frustrated that to gain critical acclaim, Black authors must write about Black Americans’ struggles. While navigating his professional and personal struggles, Monk writes a book with a focus on the violent and crime-ridden narrative that he resents, which becomes the highlight of his career. “American Fiction,” while satirical and witty, also delivers an authentic and complex examination of race, media, and family dynamics.

READ THE PIECE→ 

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Nathan Beck. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA