Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor.

Our top three stories this morning are:

First phase of Dillon Gym renovation opened

Class of 1986 Fitness and Wellness Center
Victoria Davies / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s Briefing:

First phase of Dillon Gym renovation opened: Phase One of the Class of 1986 Fitness and Wellness Center opened on Monday, Jan. 29. The opening was celebrated with hourly tours, as well as “exclusive branded workout towel[s] and refreshments.” The senior associate director of athletics for Campus Rec, Jessica Ward, said that she is “really excited” for the new space. The new fitness center offers various new additions, including new cardio machines, additional strength training equipment, and the Six Minute Ab Zone, a tool which Ward described as “kind of like a game.” Currently, the fitness center lacks selectorized machines, which were previously available in Stephens Fitness Center. Also missing are the cable systems used for lat pulldown and cable rowing exercises. Phase Two and Phase Three are set to contain additional functional training equipment, opening in fall 2024 and summer 2025, respectively.

READ THE STORY→

Princeton BOE meeting sparks tense debate over HiTOPS curriculum: The first Princeton Board of Education meeting of the semester sparked debate over the HiTOPS curriculum. Thomas Park, an LGBTQ+ parent with three children attending public schools in Princeton, accused protestors of “intimidating children,” and directly accused one of the attendees of “stalking children despite having no children in the school.” Luke Alberts, parent of two children at Princeton Middle School and a protestor of HiTOPS, said “I’m fine with LGBTQ [rights]. I’m fine with the anti-bullying message. I am not fine with the presentation of HiTOPS ... framing everything in the oppressor [vs.] oppressed narrative.” Alberts addressed Park throughout the meeting and “asked him to meet him outside to further discuss the topic.” Park told the ‘Prince’ that he “will be filing a police report for Albert’s threatening and intimidating behavior during the meeting.”

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Serving our readers and ourselves: introducing the public editor

The Daily Princetonian Newsroom
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Serving our readers and ourselves: introducing the public editor: The public editor, also known as news ombudsman or readers’ advocate, is someone “operating independently from the newsroom who holds a paper accountable to the highest level of journalistic standards.” Abigail Rabieh, former head Opinion editor for the ‘Prince,’ will be serving in this throughout the upcoming year. Rabieh critiques the “serious, prolific, and inspiring news organizations [that] operate without [a public editor],” explaining that “the contemporary state of media should not be looked upon as an ideal.” She argues that, while “the ‘Prince’ can make no claim to being the last defense against democracy,” it is “imperative” that campus newspapers “accurately, fairly, and rigorously cover the institutions with which they interact.”

READ THE COLUMN →

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Bryan Zhang. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.