Friday, December 8, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Aly Rashid

Response rate falls in first We Speak survey on sexual misconduct in five years 

201 Nassau St. houses the Office of Gender Equity and Title IX Administration.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Content Warning: The newsletter contains mentions of sexual assault. 

Good morning!

In May of 2023, The Daily Princetonian reported on the final meeting of the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) for the 2022–23 academic year. Amongst other matters, Vice President for Campus Life Rochelle Calhoun discussed the preliminary results of the 2022 WeSpeak survey on sexual misconduct which “is part of Princeton University’s ongoing efforts to provide a campus environment that is safe and supportive to all students and in compliance with Title IX.” 

In a Data piece, the ‘Prince’ takes a deep dive into the WeSpeak survey results and numbers which were released yesterday. The writer, Mary Ma, particularly notes the low response rate and how the University had to conduct an additional survey to ask non-respondents why they chose to not respond. 

Ma also compares this with the overall underreporting of sexual violence cases on college campuses. 17 percent, or 447 out of the 2681 respondents who completed at least one question on the We Speak survey, reported that they experienced inappropriate sexual behavior. In the 2021–2022 academic year, in contrast, only three cases went through the formal sexual misconduct adjudication process. 

The Title IX process changes significantly in the period measured by the WeSpeak survey. In the spring, the ‘Prince’ took a deep dive into the Trump administration-era Title IX rules and how they changed the process, with more students pursuing the voluntary alternative resolution process. The survey once again bears out the shift in method of resolution. 

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Aly Rashid

Todays Briefing 

Redesigned FAFSA can be filled out in about 10 minutes: The revised FAFSA form makes the application shorter and updates formulas for determining student eligibility. While reports speculate that aid may decrease, Princeton’s internal financial aid process ensures that these changes will have little impact on the cost of tuition.

READ THE STORY →

DATA | New Syllabus Library reveals engineering courses have more scheduled office hours

McCosh Hall in the fall.
When do classes hold their office hours at Princeton? We looked at the Syllabus Library and found that most office hours are held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, while almost none are offered over the weekend. Additionally, engineering classes hold more pre-set office hours.

READ THE ANALYSIS →

OPINION | Reactions: Princeton bans electric scooters

Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

Columnists weigh in on the new personal electric vehicle (PEV) policy update from the University. We asked them for their thoughts on the PEV ban: what are the benefits and drawbacks to the community? What purpose does this ban serve? Who does it support and who does it harm? Is this within the purview of the University?

READ THE REACTIONS →

SPORTS | Women’s basketball maintain steady lead to overcome Quinnipiac 79–70

Madison St. Rose led the Tigers in scoring with 17 points in their win over Quinnipiac.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonWBB/X
After going down 2–0 to start the game, Princeton quickly took the lead and held onto it for the rest of the game. The Tigers managed to keep the Bobcats at arm’s length with relative ease, and they earned themselves another victory after a tough loss against Rhode Island (6–4 overall, 0–0 Atlantic 10) last week. 

READ THE RECAP→
Students find community and stress relief in intramural spikeball: Sponsored by Princeton University Campus Recreation, spikeball is one of 13 intramural sports offered throughout the school year. The social aspect of spikeball draws many students to Dillon Gymnasium on Tuesday nights. “It’s really just a team-bonding experience. We’re buddies from OA [Outdoor Action], from physics class, from everywhere,” first-year Jonah Johnson said. “Spikeball is like a social magnet, it really brings us all together.”

READ THE STORY→
Another competitive 5 v. 5 intramural basketball season in the books: “After weeks of grinding and studying in East Pyne and Firestone, there’s nothing like fighting between the lines,” sophomore Braden Lalin told The Daily Princetonian after his team, the Travelers, emerged victorious from the championship game of this year’s 5 v. 5 intramural basketball season. 

READ THE STORY→

FEATURES | Singing for the Queen and voice acting on ‘Dora:’ Two performers’ journeys to Footnotes a cappella

Koda Gursoy ’26 (left) and Rupert Peacock ’24 (right).
Courtesy of Aaron Brezezinski ’24.
Rupert Peacock ’24 and Koda Gursoy ’26 of the Princeton Footnotes both have unconventional childhood performance careers. Peacock and Gursoy have had their voices shared millions of times around the world, one as a member of a royally founded choir and the other as the voice of a world-renowned cartoon monkey. The Daily Princetonian spoke with both vocalists to understand how their stories now intersect through campus a cappella.

READ THE FEATURE→
‘Pure affection:’ Dogs Fonzie and Lionela bring joy to Forbes: The Daily Princetonian spoke to Head of Forbes College Maria Garlock and Dean of Forbes College Patrick Caddeau to learn about their puppies and the joy their dogs bring to students on campus. Forbes has hosted study breaks with Seeing Eye, where guide puppies in training come in to play with students. Caddeau believes that having these dogs present in Forbes spreads joy around the community and brings students, Fellows, and faculty together over their shared love of dogs.

READ THE FEATURE→

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PUZZLES: See how well you know this week’s Princeton news. Play the news quiz!
Course Selection
Yacoub Kahkajian / The Daily Princetonian
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA