Thursday, December 7, 2023
Newsletter by Sidney Singer

Debate on HUM syllabus and western canon continues

Louisa Gheorghita  / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

Since its founding in 1994, Princeton’s Western Humanities (HUM) Sequence has been designed to “introduce students to over 2,500 years of the landmark achievements of the Western Intellectual tradition,” according to the course website.

In this year’s iteration of HUM, changes to the syllabus mean that the authors now include only three women, one black man, and no black women on the syllabus, raising questions about the diversity and inclusivity of the HUM Sequence. The works removed from the syllabus include Beloved by Toni Morrison, The Complete Autobiographies of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass, and A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft.

The tension between a class devoted to the Western canon and the desire to present a diverse array of authors has been covered in the 'Prince' in the past.  In a 2021 column, former Opinion editor Mollika Singh highlighted the fact that Black students sometimes drop the course before the second semester. They noted "one of the central tensions of this course: it upholds the place in history of certain texts, writers, artists, and ideas that have been harmful to marginalized groups throughout history and still to this day without always providing a clear and necessary safe space to explore those ideas."

Faculty noted that the texts change term to term and some of the removed texts may return in future years.

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Sidney Singer

Today’s Briefing 

Nassau street closes temporarily after chimney blaze draws ten emergency vehicles: Smoke emerged from 210 Nassau Street, triggering a rapid multi-departmental response to address a chimney malfunction. The incident, centered around Tipple & Rose Tea Parlor, necessitated an urgent call to emergency services. Despite minimal damage, the establishment temporarily closed as a precautionary measure. Following thorough assessments and maintenance, it has resumed operations.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION| The opinions that didn’t make it

Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Over the course of the last year, the Opinion section has published 211 columns. Though there has been much opined, even more has been left unsaid. We asked our columnists to share their opinions on topics that did not become a full piece. 

READ THE OPINIONS →

DATA | Despite student complaints, campus water fountains are safe to drink from

Water fountain
Charles Roth / The Daily Princetonian

The Daily Princetonian collected and tested water from 38 drinking fountains from around campus using a Walfront multifunction digital water tester. Staffers collected from both academic and residential buildings, and from both filtered and unfiltered fountains, as well as the SPIA fountain. 

READ THE PIECE →

SPORTS | Men’s basketball matches best start in program history with home win over Drexel 

Photo courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/X
With a win over the Drexel Dragons, the Tigers tied their best start to a season in program history. Courtesy of yet another career night from sophomore guard Xaivian Lee — who finished the game with 23 points, equaled his career high with nine rebounds, and collected a career high six assists — the Tigers took an early lead and never looked back, beating the Dragons 81–70. 

READ THE STORY →

MORE FROM SPORTS:

THE PROSPECT | USG Movies review: The Boy and The Heron

Vitus Larrieu / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Prospect Writer Vitus Larrieu reviews legendary Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki’s newest film “The Boy and the Heron.” 

“Despite my minor quibbles with the film, ‘The Boy and the Heron’ is an undeserved treat. Any opportunity to see a new Studio Ghibli film in theaters is a delight, and this film delivers a tasty, deeply emotional and wondrous experience,” he writes.

READ THE PIECE →

MORE FROM THE PROSPECT: 

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Lindsay Pagaduan and Song Ting Tang. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA