Tuesday, December 5, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen and Amy Ciceu

Scooters banned from campus after August restrictions found ineffective

Scooter locked by Blair Arch on Princeton’s Campus.
Tess Weinreich / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

At 11:01 AM on December 4, 2023, the University officially prohibited personal electric vehicles (PEVs) from campus grounds starting Jan. 25th, 2024. The ban on PEV privileges arrives on the heels of a PEV restriction imposed by the University on Aug. 18. According to this earlier policy, PEVs – which encompasses scooters, bikes, hoverboards, and electric skateboards – were barred from being used within the restricted zone from 7:30 a.m to 4 p.m. every weekday. Widespread flaunting of the rule was an open secret on campus, mocked in a cartoon in the ‘Prince’ earlier this year.

The University is not the only body to regard PEVs as a public nuisance. Earlier this year, the Princeton Police Department began issuing $50 fines to individuals caught riding scooters on public sidewalks, a punitive measure that enforced an enduring policy that regards scooters as “skateboards” according to Ordinance 2022-41.

Reactions to PEV restrictions and now, the ban, have been mixed. A few days after the University’s August PEV restriction policy was implemented, a guest contributor penned an op-ed in which they argued that the “scooter restrictions pose a harm to all students, especially disabled ones.” In a separate opinion column, Preston Ferraiuolo ’26 urged the University to expand TigerTransit in order to provide an adequate replacement for scooters that allow students to seamlessly navigate the University’s sprawling campus.

Furthermore, PEVs have posed dangers to the University community in a number of ways that extend beyond the obvious safety hazards of scooters zooming past students on crowded streets and sidewalks. In late September, two scooters in a Whitman College dorm ignited sparks after one of the scooter’s wheels began spinning uncontrollably, burning “a hole in the ground”, “setting off the fire alarm in the building,” and “causing multiple fire trucks to arrive on the scene.”

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Amy Ciceu

Today's Briefing 

As admissions changes debated, Princeton admits students through QuestBridge: On Friday, December 1, high schoolers across America who matched with universities through the QuestBridge National College Match received good news, including a new class of Princetonians. The Daily Princetonian spoke with four members of Princeton’s Class of 2028.

READ THE STORY →

After barn-raising event on a chilly Saturday, 3 out of 4 remain standing: A barn-raising event occurred behind the School of Architecture, allowing participants to join architecture students in “rais[ing] an actual barn.” While the event was originally projected to last an hour, complications delayed the timing. Three barns remain standing but one does not.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED:

OPINION | Affordable housing development should proceed despite resistance 

333 Nassau Street.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Columnist Wynne Conger argues that the development of a zone designed to promote affordable housing development should continue, despite some community opposition, because of Princeton’s lack of affordable housing. She writes, “Given the dire state of affordability in Princeton and the lack of any suggestions for how to accomplish both goals, it is time for Princeton to approve the development of affordable housing projects over the objections of the Princeton Historical Society.”

READ THE COLUMN →

SPORTS | Curtains on historic season for men’s water polo in national semifinals

Junior star utility Roko Pozaric was named to the NCAA All-Tournament Second Team
Picture courtesy of Nicole Maloney

Another historic season for Princeton men’s water polo came to an end in national semifinals, when they lost to the No. 1 seeded UCLA Bruins. The Tigers went toe-to-toe with the Bruins for three quarters before ultimately falling short in the final period, losing 17–13.

READ THE STORY →

Men's Club Ruby continues tradition of playing against their alumni Flying Tigers team: On Nov. 18, Princeton Athletic Club Men’s Rugby played their annual match against the men’s rugby alumni team, the Flying Tigers. The game between the current squad and the Flying Tigers fosters camaraderie and competitiveness across all members of the program, both old and new.

READ THE STORY →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. Today, hear about a Men’s Rugby alumni game, a Supreme Court case over Purdue Pharma’s bankruptcy, and a volcano eruption in Indonesia.

The essentials for every tiger

Blue Carlsson / The Daily Princetonian
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Naisha Sylvestre. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA