Tuesday, December 12, 2023
Newsletter by Brianna Suliguin and Amy Ciceu
Men’s basketball team experiences first loss of the season to the St. Joseph Hawks
Men’s basketball huddles on court during a stoppage versus St. Joes.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/X.

Good morning!

On Sunday, the men’s basketball team was handed their first loss of the season by the St. Joseph Hawks, ending the Tigers’ best start to the season since 1919. 

The Tigers fought in a back-and-forth game, ultimately losing by a tight margin of 74–70. Throughout the entire match, the two teams traded the lead, tied at 65 with three minutes left on the clock. Despite the loss, senior guard Matt Allocco told The Daily Princetonian that the team maintained a “great spark” on the court. 

Back in March, the men’s basketball team was riding high on a string of victories. Their winning streak was so formidable as to catapult the Tigers into the 2023 NCAA March Madness tournament. In their first game in Sacramento, California, the Tigers claimed an upset victory of 59–55 against the University of Arizona. Although not unprecedented, this rare instance of David triumphing over Goliath had not occurred in over three decades, a testament to the current men’s basketball team’s astonishing abilities on the court. The Tigers also went on to defeat Missouri 78–63, securing them a spot at the Sweet Sixteen in the March Madness tournament.

Although the Tigers’ momentum this past spring couldn’t propel them into the Elite 8, the team was hailed as the “Cinderella” of the 2023 March Madness season. In recognition of the team's astounding feats, the ‘Prince’ delved into the team’s history of memorable experiences in March Madness, reflecting on the historic moments when the Tigers overcame their underdog reputation and succeeded against the odds.

READ THE STORY →
Analysis by Amy Ciceu

Today’s Briefing 

Charter prepares for expansion as interest in eating clubs risesAs spring bicker approaches, Charter Club has announced plans to expand the club and its membership. The ‘Prince’ Frosh Survey shows that the Class of 2026, the largest in history, is more likely to try to join an eating club than the Class of 2025. With a burgeoning student body, eating clubs are contending with how to accommodate increased student interest.

READ THE STORY →
SPONSORED:

OPINION | A calculated approach to mental health advocacy

Students gather outside of Dillon Gym, a Campus Rec facility.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Columnist Rishi Khanna argues that Princeton students should adopt a more holistic approach to the on-campus mental health discourse by considering more creative preventative measures to support student mental health.

READ THE COLUMN →

FEATURES | A Nude Olympic flame, lit and extinguished

Students gather in Holder Courtyard.
Courtesy of the Mudd Manuscript Library at the Princeton University Archives

For decades, the first snowfall heralded not only the arrival of sledding and scarves, but also a drunken, nude bacchanalia in Holder courtyard. The ‘Prince’ traces the rise and fall of the Nude Olympics, a now defunct tradition that continues to intrigue students today.

READ THE STORY →

At your leisure

• HUMOR: On the final day of classes this fall semester, Professor Dave DeLoach was met with thundering applause for putting in the bare minimum to remain employed by the University. 
  • HUMOR: For the 2023 admissions cycle, Princeton has replaced the traditional single-choice early action program with a Hunger Games-style battle.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast. In today’s episode, hear about a retrospective on the Nude Olympics, calls for Harvard’s president to step down, and a pending buyout of the iconic Macy’s department store.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Akwele Lokko and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA