Monday, November 27, 2023
Report by Miriam Waldvogel
Newsletter by Olivia Chen

At Princeton’s Mpala Research Center, researchers grapple with a colonial legacy

Bethany Mariel Suliguin / The Daily Princetonian

At 48,000 acres, the Mpala research center in Kenya is Princeton’s most important international venture and an important site of knowledge production in ecology and biology.

Yet there's a darker side to the center. By interviewing 20 Mpala researchers, visitors, administrators, and staff on multiple occasions over six months, and conducting archival research from University, Kenyan, and historical sources, The Daily Princetonian sought to examine the dynamics of what researchers, professors, and historians, Kenyan and American alike, have called a colonial space.

Researchers who spent time at Mpala describe unequal housing conditions, a culture of separation between Kenyan staff and largely international visitors, and financial inaccessibility for Kenyan students.

Mpala administrators and supporters point to the research center’s community engagement initiatives and the number of Kenyan administrators. They say that current administrators at both Mpala and the University have taken key steps to ease the divides of the center’s past.

“[Mpala] feels very much like those films depicting a time 100 years ago,” one researcher told the ‘Prince.’

READ THE FULL INVESTIGATION HERE

Looking for more?

• Hear more about the process of the investigation in an interview with the author on Behind The Investigation from Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by David Tang and Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA