Wednesday, November 8, 2023

College Democrats organize as elections approach while other groups sit it out

A “vote here” sign taped on the door of a Princeton polling place.
Lia Opperman / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning!

New Jersey voters voted in state elections yesterday. The election stirred some of Princeton’s political groups to action. Co-president of Princeton College Democrats, Nate Howard ’25, described some of the efforts the organization did in the lead-up to the election, including non-partisan letter-writing campaigns to voters in Virginia and recent canvassing efforts in New Jersey. He noted that the group has “knocked [on] over 1,000 doors” thus far this semester. 

Elections often bring up the name of a different student group: Vote100, the campus campaign that aims for 100 percent of the student body to engage civically and has gained momentum within the past few years. In the 2020 presidential election, the group touted their own efforts to help the undergraduate voting rate reach a record-breaking 75.4 percent, an increase of 24.9 percent since the 2016 presidential election. This year, the group offered free Lyft rides to the Princeton fire station for those voting in the town. The group also had free coffee and donuts for students near McCosh Walk in the morning and took “I voted” photos in front of Whig Hall in the afternoon.

In election results that have been already announced, Andrew Zwicker was re-elected as a state senator to New Jersey’s 16th Legislative district, which includes Princeton. He also is an educator at the University’s Plasma Physics Laboratory. 

READ THE STORY→
Analysis by Victoria Davies

Today's Briefing:

Generational African American students build a community on campus: The Generational African American Students' Association (GAASA) is a space for students who identify as Generational African American, a term that “implies descendants of enslaved people without having to have that in the name.” Chris Butcher ’25 founded GAASA at the end of 2022 after he felt that there were not many Generational African American students on campus. GAASA hosts social events typical of other clubs, such as movie nights and karaoke, and it also connects with GAASA chapters in peer institutions

READ THE STORY → 

‘Irrespective of color’: Princeton’s missed opportunity to integrate in the 1830s: In 1835, 110 years before Princeton University would admit African American students, a man named David Leavitt offered the University $1,000 on the condition that the college would admit students “irrespective of Color” and grant them “like privileges.” Despite being on the brink of financial ruin, the Board of Trustees declined the offer

READ THE STORY → 

OPINION | Princeton’s luxury discourages public service
Yeh College and New College West held a joint festival for students.
Kaylee Kasper / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing columnist Frances Brogan ’27 argues that Princeton’s free events and perks creates a “sense of entitlement to luxury in Princeton students” that discourages students from pursuing careers in public service and “alienates students from the vast majority of the world’s population.” She writes that “for many of us, our standard of living at Princeton can only be maintained post-graduation by acquiring a lucrative corporate job.” 

READ THE COLUMN → 

FEATURES | Princeton students retreat to a castle in England for an oasis of open discussion
Castle in England where the Rose Castle Society meets for reconciliation training.
Courtesy of Darren Milman

On the Office for Religious Life’s annual trip to the Rose Castle in England, students from a diversity of religious backgrounds engage in vulnerable discussions. Princeton students can apply for membership to the Princeton Rose Castle Society, which consists of a trip to the Rose Castle and several group dinners throughout the school year to continue conversations.

READ THE STORY → 

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA