Friday, November 17, 2023
Newsletter by Sidney Singer

TigerTransit ridership increased significantly post-pandemic

Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Good morning! 

Ridership of TigerTransit, the University’s shuttle service, has increased by 50 percent since the introduction of Personal Electric Vehicles (PEVs) restrictions at the beginning of this academic year. With an expanding student body and growing engineering program, mobility options for cross-campus transit has become even more important. 

Running solely along the periphery of campus, TigerTransit has been criticized due to its current lack of utility to students. Opinion columnist Preston Ferraiuolo wrote, “Princeton must expand the TigerTransit system where undergrads need it the most: between residential colleges and academic buildings with a central Elm Drive shuttle, as well as between more class locations and athletic practice facilities” to decrease student need for PEVs on campus, rather than restricting their usage. However, current expansion plans only include servicing the new Meadows Neighborhood. 

The shuttle service as it stands has still seen an increased usage, possibly due to “increased frequency, greater visibility and access, and reliability of bus service” as the Director of Transportation and Parking Services Charles Tennyson noted. 

For many, especially students with physical impairments, TigerTransit remains a primary mode of long-distance transportation, making the new frequencies a welcome change. The University also offers TigerAccess rides around campus for students with mobility constraints.

READ THE FULL STORY →
Analysis by Sidney Singer

Today’s Briefing:

The faculty hiring process, explained: Appointment of University faculty is an elaborate process with several stakeholders, including faculty within each department, the Dean of the Faculty, and other members of the administration. The ‘Prince’ spoke with the chairs of multiple departments on the faculty hiring process.
READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Reactions: What should we learn from the New Jersey elections?

Aarushi Adlakha / The Daily Princetonian

After nationwide elections on Nov. 7, Opinion staffers weigh in on the elections and their impacts of Princetonians.  The elections analyzed range from the Princeton school board to the defeat of a controversial trucker. 

READ THE REACTIONS →

SPORTS | Men’s basketball remains undefeated following road win against Duquesne

Photo Courtesy of  @PrincetonMBB

After their Sweet Sixteen run last year, men’s basketball (3–0 overall, 0–0 Ivy League) picked up right where they left off with their third road win in a row over the Duquesne Dukes (3–1 overall, 0–0 Atlantic 10). Despite Duquesne being favored by 5.5 points heading into the matchup, Princeton picked up an early lead and never let it go to remain perfect on the young season.

READ THE PIECE→

FEATURES | How to live to 100, according to Victor Brombert

Photo Courtesy of  Victor Brombert

On Nov. 11, 2023, former Princeton professor Victor Brombert turned 100 years old. The Daily Princetonian spoke to Brombert, who shared his stories from the past century, impressions of his time at the University, and the secret of how to live to 100.

“Naps! Of course! I used to love them. Now I need them. But I still love them and they are great. Very refreshing. Yes, there are some tricks. That’s one of them.”

READ THE PIECE→

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA