Sunday, October 15th, 2023
Newsletter by Olivia Chen
Katelyn Ryu / The Daily Princetonian
In a special issue, the Daily Princetonian examines five aspects of Asian life on campus: history, communities, arts, languages, and stories of international students.

In a Letter from the Editor, Editor-in-Chief Rohit Narayanan describes the diversity of the stories the issue seeks to cover. He writes: “There are spaces on campus where there’s a single Asian community. And there are spaces where there are innumerable separate communities.  There are problems that all Asians on campus share – first-generation, second-generation, Korean, Pakistani, Malaysian, Tajik. And there are problems and stories unique to a sub-community, or just a single person. There are Asian stories that The Daily Princetonian has been covering for years. And there are those that have sadly been left out.”
READ THE ISSUE

NEWS | Students and faculty see opportunities for growth in South Asian Studies

The Louis A. Simpson Building, which houses the Program in South Asian Studies.
South Asian Studies, the youngest area studies program at Princeton, has only three full-time faculty. Students and faculty members have expressed that it limits the extent to which the program can expand and offer more courses for students.
READ THE STORY→
For international students, visa constraints make finding employment a unique struggle: Sponsorship for international students often presents employers with legal and financial burdens, leading them to prefer domestic students. The unique constraints, students say, changes the conversation about what careers students should go into when it comes to international students.
READ THE STORY→

OPINION | To combat inequity faced by international students, Princeton must expand its departmental classifications

Ammaar Alam / The Daily Princetonian

Contributing Columnist Aly Rashid highlights how eligibility for U.S. residency extensions leaves international students stuck choosing between their passion and job security when declaring a major, and how Princeton exacerbates this. He writes, “Many international students whose primary academic interests lie in a non-STEM field end up in Catch-22. They can prioritize majoring in a field that addresses their academic passion and potentially lose residency...or they can prioritize extending their stay in the US post-graduation, only to be faced with job prospects that don’t interest them.” 
READ THE COLUMN→

Students have the power to expand culture and inclusion at Princeton: Guest Contributor Shruti Venkat ’23 argues that Princeton students have the power to create a more inclusive and diverse community, citing the improvements in the Music department during her time at Princeton. She expresses hope for the future: “I can only imagine what students in coming years will do to make this institution more inclusive day by day.”
READ THE GUEST CONTRIBUTION→

More from Opinion: 

FEATURES | Programs from Asian alumni groups aim to increase diversity of international student body

Davis International Center.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian
Historically, Princeton has historically struggled to attract international students without a U.S. affiliation. The Daily Princetonian spoke with alumni leaders in Asia about the evolution of international recruitment to increase diversity among applicants. Shiv Siddhant Kaul ’03, president of the Princeton Club of India, is optimistic: “Each year the number of applicants keeps expanding,” he said, “and the applicants cover a wide spectrum from all over the country.”
READ THE FEATURE→
More from Features: 

THE PROSPECT | How do you celebrate Mid-Autumn?

Kerrie Liang / The Daily Princetonian
Whether you know it as the Mid-Autumn Festival or Chuseok, September is a time to give thanks for the harvest and for harmonious reunions. This year, editors and staffers from The Prospect write about what this time looks like for Princeton students and their families. They describe the festivities, from food to family traditions.
READ THE STORY→
Reviewing 10 books by the Asian-American authors of our era: Contributing Prospect Writer Audrey Zeng reviews ten of her favorite books by authors of Asian descent featuring Asian main characters from least to most focused on Asian identity.
READ THE REVIEW→
More from The Prospect:

At your leisure

From the archives:

READ THE ISSUE
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA